Quantcast

Small shelves in Oak and Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Just for a change, I thought I'd make a two-tone item of furniture :roll:

Does anyone else have a nightmare project that takes ages despite being simple. Never quite important enough to get round to finishing because something leap frogs it in the must-have-now queue?

I checked the dates on the original photos, and these have taken two years in the making :x

Not having a spokshave added at least 6 months to the project :oops:

I made this headboard yonks ago, and, having some left over wood, thought I'd make some matching shelves.

Cutting the dovetails (Just don't ask - I know, it's hanging inthe background - it's so long ago - I think I may have originally posted these on UK_WW :? )

After a break of about a year, finally bought some brass brackets. I'm making a small cutout so they'll sit flush to the wall....

If anyone is looking for a router recommendation, these pistol grip versions, made by both Mafell and Festool get my vote. I've tried a range of others and without doubt these are sooooo much easier to use and control.

Cleaning the corners up with a chisel...

Bit out of sequence but here they are! I used a jigsaw (very badly) to cut the curves, and a router/spokeshaves to make them round. The dovetails came out pretty badly, and I had to use some filler in places.

Anyway, they are now mounted on the wall just above the headboard, so I can no longer use the excuse of not being able to hear the alarm clock :wink:

Adam

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam
A completed project is a completed project!! Strike another of the "To-do" list! :lol:
Just a couple of hundred left, eh?
Like the use of different timbers-beats staining pieces, doesn't it?
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Adam

Another beautiful piece of work.

The mix of timber is really complementary and works very well.

Cheers
Neil

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam,

Finished at last! They look good and if they get you out of bed in the morning, they are extremely practical.

I am intrigued that you did not make them the same with walnut or oak at the front on both.

A

Anonymous

Adam

I like the shelves (only two years work too) but love the headboard :wink: Reminds me that I must get around to making a headboard for our bed sometime - promised about 5 years ago that I would :oops:

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
waterhead37":ux03d6pf said:
I am intrigued that you did not make them the same with walnut or oak at the front on both.
No particular reason, I considered both ways, and decided it didn't have to look symmetrical so mixed them up.

Adam

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam":3ph3y4qg said:
Does anyone else have a nightmare project that takes ages despite being simple. Never quite important enough to get round to finishing because something leap frogs it in the must-have-now queue?
Nope. Never happened to me.

Oh, wait. That should be in reference to the spokeshave.... :oops:

Well persevered, and a striking result. Bizarre about the dovetail cutting though. :roll: :)

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

Adam":12zdhofr said:
Adam
Well......
I've been building two bedside cabinets since last march (still to fit the doors and make the drawers) and an air cleaner since last may :oops:

Taffy Turner

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony":2dhz7nec said:
Adam":2dhz7nec said:
Adam
Well......
I've been building two bedside cabinets since last march (still to fit the doors and make the drawers) and an air cleaner since last may :oops:
I have been "building" a plant stand for the hall since Christmas 2003 (when SWMBO first issued the edict), and I haven't even got round to ordering the wood yet! :roll:

Doh! (homer)

At least I have a pretty clear idea in my head of how it will look and how I am going to make it.

Yours red-facedly,
Taffy :oops:

Hans

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam,

never mind the time it took. The result looks great, that is what matters.

I just happen to work on a lamp in walnut and oak. Beautiful combination.

Hans