Small shelves in Oak and Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Just for a change, I thought I'd make a two-tone item of furniture :roll:

Does anyone else have a nightmare project that takes ages despite being simple. Never quite important enough to get round to finishing because something leap frogs it in the must-have-now queue?

I checked the dates on the original photos, and these have taken two years in the making :x

Not having a spokshave added at least 6 months to the project :oops:

I made this headboard yonks ago, and, having some left over wood, thought I'd make some matching shelves.

38494457.jpg

Cutting the dovetails (Just don't ask - I know, it's hanging inthe background - it's so long ago - I think I may have originally posted these on UK_WW :? )

38494464.jpg

After a break of about a year, finally bought some brass brackets. I'm making a small cutout so they'll sit flush to the wall....

38494459.jpg

If anyone is looking for a router recommendation, these pistol grip versions, made by both Mafell and Festool get my vote. I've tried a range of others and without doubt these are sooooo much easier to use and control.

38494460.jpg

Cleaning the corners up with a chisel...

38494461.jpg

Bit out of sequence but here they are! I used a jigsaw (very badly) to cut the curves, and a router/spokeshaves to make them round. The dovetails came out pretty badly, and I had to use some filler in places.

38494458.jpg

Anyway, they are now mounted on the wall just above the headboard, so I can no longer use the excuse of not being able to hear the alarm clock :wink:

Adam

Adam
A completed project is a completed project!! Strike another of the "To-do" list! :lol:
Just a couple of hundred left, eh?
Like the use of different timbers-beats staining pieces, doesn't it?
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

Adam,

Finished at last! They look good and if they get you out of bed in the morning, they are extremely practical.

I am intrigued that you did not make them the same with walnut or oak at the front on both.

Adam

I like the shelves (only two years work too) but love the headboard :wink: Reminds me that I must get around to making a headboard for our bed sometime - promised about 5 years ago that I would :oops:

waterhead37":ux03d6pf said:
I am intrigued that you did not make them the same with walnut or oak at the front on both.

No particular reason, I considered both ways, and decided it didn't have to look symmetrical so mixed them up.

Adam

Adam":3ph3y4qg said:
Does anyone else have a nightmare project that takes ages despite being simple. Never quite important enough to get round to finishing because something leap frogs it in the must-have-now queue?
Nope. Never happened to me.

Oh, wait. That should be in reference to the spokeshave.... :oops:

Well persevered, and a striking result. Bizarre about the dovetail cutting though. :roll: :)

Cheers, Alf

Adam":12zdhofr said:
Adam

Well......
I've been building two bedside cabinets since last march (still to fit the doors and make the drawers) and an air cleaner since last may :oops:

Tony":2dhz7nec said:
Adam":2dhz7nec said:
Adam

Well......
I've been building two bedside cabinets since last march (still to fit the doors and make the drawers) and an air cleaner since last may :oops:

I have been "building" a plant stand for the hall since Christmas 2003 (when SWMBO first issued the edict), and I haven't even got round to ordering the wood yet! :roll:

Doh! (homer)

At least I have a pretty clear idea in my head of how it will look and how I am going to make it.

Yours red-facedly,
Taffy :oops:

Adam,

never mind the time it took. The result looks great, that is what matters.

I just happen to work on a lamp in walnut and oak. Beautiful combination.

Hans

Back