Small Plough Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mittlefehldt

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally after a month of waiting, it was a month late coming, I went to my local Lee Valley store last Saturday, and purchased the Veritas small plow plane.

When I got it home I read through the instructions, well actually skimmed them, and then went out to the shop to play, er I mean test it out.

The fit and finish seems excellent including the very very sharp blades out of the box. Everything worked as it was supposed to, I tried white pine and white ash, good results both times.

Overall it is what it purports to be, and I only have two minor quibbles. the first is the hand hold on the fence is a tad small, and in the same vien the knurled knob for changing the blades is a tad hard to get at again because of the small space inside the fence, particularily when it is tight and therefore hard to undo. Well not hard just a bit less than easy. As I said minor quibbles.

An excellent tool and I hope to get much use from it. If things work out I will post pictures tomorrow.

Mittlefehldt":2jawl5hf said:
Overall it is what it purports to be, and I only have two minor quibbles. the first is the hand hold on the fence is a tad small

As per the lamented Alice's page:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/combihow3.html

You only use the fence handle to push the fence into the workpiece.

You DON'T provide driving force that way; as such, the handle doesn't need to give "a good grip"; indeed, one might argue that a small handle here actually promotes or enforces good technique.

BugBear

bugbear":39cie528 said:

BugBear

bugbear

Why is Al lamented? Does she not contribute to these pages any more? Or is it more serious?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was surprised by your description and somewhat worried (esp as Al hasn't made a contribution for several days on her blog).

Cheers

Jeremy

bugbear":3tz79f5k said:
Mittlefehldt":3tz79f5k said:
Overall it is what it purports to be, and I only have two minor quibbles. the first is the hand hold on the fence is a tad small

You only use the fence handle to push the fence into the workpiece.

You DON'T provide driving force that way; as such, the handle doesn't need to give "a good grip"; indeed, one might argue that a small handle here actually promotes or enforces good technique.

BugBear

I do not disagree witht that, I just had a bit of trouble placing my hand comfortably on the plane. Will have to watch Alf's video on same and see how she does it. As I said minor quibbles overall the plane is great, I think I have some trouble to not cuttin flat but raising a bit must work on that also.

What of Alf by the bye, do you know something we don't?

You can find a link on her blog. (Hope this'not against the rules) ;o)

Back