Small or bench top bandsaw advise needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a small bandsaw that will take a 3mm blade. I have been looking at a few but can not find reviews that have made me settle on one.
Can I ask for the opinions of the forum members on the make below or other suggestions.
Money to spend max £180 with delivery. Also as this will be a second bandsaw space is limited.

Looking at;

Fox F28-186 or Fox F28-182.
Scheppach Basato 1.
Charnwood W711.

Dermot.

Hi,
Can I add to Dermot's post.
Newbie turners and looking to get a (first) bandsaw. Everyone always says get the biggest you can - realistically, how small is still useful?
And are secondhand bandsaws OK, as that would probably allow for larger capacity - and what should I look for that might indicate potential problems?
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Hi you guys, any used machinery comes with a risk. Be it knackered bearings
or overworked motor, it's a chance you take. New is not always perfect but at least
you have a guarantee.
What ever you decide big is best. If you get a small machine you will soon wish you had
a bigger one.
Good luck with your decisions.
Willy.

gregmcateer":3cm3rbin said:
Willy,
Thanks for the advice.
Anyone know - are Startrite machines good?
Greg
Yes! A second-hand Startrite is a good bet. I have a Scheppach (the big one) and I don't regret buying it, except, perhaps, for its humongous footprint. But from a performance point of view I am very happy.
I agree that you will probably very soon outgrow a tiny machine.

However, my mate Brian has a little Inca (or is it Incra? - I can't remember) and it is excellent quality. Small but perfectly formed, good quality engineering on a small scale.

S

There's a case for having a small bandsaw as well as a larger model. I have floor standing machine but also a tiny Delta with a narrow blade which gets a lot of use for small delicate jobs.

There don't seem to be that many bandsaws that will accept a 3mm blade? so I guess that limits your choice somewhat!

Most bandsaws will do so, although you may have to modify the guide bearings a little. I fit mine with a 1/16" blade even though the spec is min 6mm. But I can do so easily because I add a thin MDF face to the guide bearing, so although the teeth are not clear, they don't do any damage, nor get damaged themselves.
S

Thanks for that Steve! I'm about to buy my first bandsaw and was wondering if I could fit a smaller than recommended blade.

Back