Small Kasa in Holly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I've been away for a while but I have not been idle, I have been playing with green wood and a few knives.

I made this from a piece of holly given to me by a friend, it was fresh cut that morning when I recieved it. Very wet to carve but quite satisfying. Anyway the pictures

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0174.jpg

Its really good to drink out of something you made yourself

I really like it Bean. If you can be bothered, next time some WIPS would be great, i'd love to see the process of carving this.

Ironballs I drink anything from it, Kasa's are traditional drinking cups from the northern parts of sweden. They are usually made from birch burrs, but I did not have one to hand :( I spend alot of time hiking and camping with my scout group and its a bit more personal than the obligitory plastic cup.

Wizer
The process of carving is simple really,
Split the log lengthways

Drawout the shape

Rough cut the shape out with an axe :shock: or as i do, use a handsaw/bandsaw.

I carve the outside with a knife and then the inside with a crook knife.

then dependant upon how you want it to look sand or not

For the tool collectors amongst us the cost is a paltry 20 quid or so for the knives.

Thank you for the interest

Nice one Bean,

I used some fresh holly for a bowl but it split like hell even as I was working with it.

What's your secret??

Lurker you have to slow the drying down, the first one of these split like crazy, this one has distorted a little. But I kept this one in a zip lock plastic bag when I was not working on it. I allowed it to dry slowly and gently over a few weeks.

Holly can be a pain for splitting

Back