Small garage workshop - dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion801

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been kinda done to death but I haven't really found much advice that really suits my situation from a quick search of the forums.

I have a small workshop set up in my garage (a single garage, but a bit more spacious than most). The only machine I have is a TS200 table saw and I'm also making a home-made router table. Besides this, everything I do is with either small power tools or hand tools. It's only a hobby so I'm not there all the time inhaling dust but I still sometimes feel the effects in my throat and chest after a few hours in the garage as all I currently have available for dust extraction is a cheap bog standard vacuum cleaner.

I recently salvaged an old cooker hood from my girlfriend's parents which I plan on using to make myself an air filter (got the inspiration from one of the posts on here actually) but I think I would also benefit from investing in a proper workshop vacuum of some sort to get better suction and filtration. I was wondering which machines people would recommend, bearing in mind that I am on quite a tight budget (£200 would be my absolute limit and much closer to £100 would be nice).

I have been looking at the Axi RDC100H which looks like it might be a good option. I've also been considering the Woodstar DC04 as it seems to have better filtration (0.5 micron as opposed to 1 micron for the RDC100H). I was wondering if these are absolutely necessary of if I might get away with using something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/karcher-wd350 ... 230v/78944

I like the fact that it is a bit more versatile as it is wet and dry (may come in useful next time I spill coolant on the floor from my bike!) and also has the power tool power outlet, plus it has a decent airflow, but I can't find any information anywhere as to what particle size it can filter down to. Does anybody know if this is likely to be suitable or would I be better off getting something designed more specifically for woodworking?

I'm just setting up my cleaning now. I have a three pronged approach

1 use a mid range 0.5 micron Hoover with fixed pipe work to each bit of kit. I got mine from Axi.
2 have a keep and cheerful Henry type Hoover for wet and dry stuff and screws, nails and other not so nice items
3 install a small electric extractor( like the ones you get in a loo or shower room) in the window so fine air borne particles will be removed over a few hours. There was a scary article about breathing in the fine stuff a while ago.

Sounds like a good approach to me. Which hoover did you use with the fixed pipework out of interest?

I have a Woodstar Dc04 for my TS200 and bandsaw a trend power tool vacuum and a air filter. I have had no problems with the Woodstar.

Mick

I use a cheap sip extractor, under £90 from toolstation. Works well for me on stationary tools, the hose isn't flexible enough to use with hand held power tools.

Ive always really liked the record power DX1000 which is a dedicated woodworking extractor. It's on promo from D&M for £115 here

www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/sn/RPWDX1000

Its 45 litre which beats the pants off a Henry and its pretty simple too. I share it between my bandsaw, planar and table saw becuase I didn't want the hassle of installing ducting everywhere. You could easily add a sanding station to that setup too. I have an air shield pro for really fine sanding.

Thanks very much for all of the advice guys. I've been doing a bit more research and am currently considering either the Record DX1000 or the Trend T30af.

The DX1000 has the advantage of the larger diameter hose (which would fit straight onto my table saw) as well as being cheaper, although I would need to buy the accessory kit for an extra £30 to allow me to use it with power tools. The Trend does seem a lot more versatile though, and comes with most of the accessories I would need, including stuff for general cleaning of the workshop. The power-tool take off would also help keep my garage a fair bit tidier due to less trailing wires everywhere.

The main disadvantage seems to be a lack of compatibility with adapters (I can't find any axi ones that work with a 36mm hose to allow me to connect it to the 4" connection point on the TS200). Does anybody know of a good way around this problem?

Orion801":17da01lr said:
Thanks very much for all of the advice guys. I've been doing a bit more research and am currently considering either the Record DX1000 or the Trend T30af.

The DX1000 has the advantage of the larger diameter hose (which would fit straight onto my table saw) as well as being cheaper, although I would need to buy the accessory kit for an extra £30 to allow me to use it with power tools. The Trend does seem a lot more versatile though, and comes with most of the accessories I would need, including stuff for general cleaning of the workshop. The power-tool take off would also help keep my garage a fair bit tidier due to less trailing wires everywhere.

The main disadvantage seems to be a lack of compatibility with adapters (I can't find any axi ones that work with a 36mm hose to allow me to connect it to the 4" connection point on the TS200). Does anybody know of a good way around this problem?

If you search the forum for axminster ts200, you will find quite a few threads on where members have built a stand for it and enclosed the saw. Creating there own drop box under the saw with a different size connection. I have done this myself and used

http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-line-b ... 65mm/91358

After cutting the square part off it leaves a square flange you can screw to the saw and that fits this perfectly :)

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-10 ... rod818873/

Just thought i would add a pic so you know how i did mine

extraction.jpg

As you can see, i cut the top square part off, leaving about 3mm of the square attached to the round part. Then that axi 100mm - 68mm adapter just slides over the top of the downpipe adapter :)

Looks like a good idea. I'll have to look into doing something similar when I have the time.

I've decided to opt for the Trend T30af for now as it's a fair bit more versatile. If I move to a bigger place and can therefore fit in some more machinery then I'll probably add a larger extractor system at that point but I don't think it's really justified at the moment, especially as I haven't had too many problems with dust from the table saw.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice with this. I'll let you know what I think of the Trend when it arrives!

Latest posts

Back