Small diameter blades in table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason why you couldn't use a 180mm grooving blade, say 6mm wide, in a large table saw like a Startrite that would normally take 10" or even 12" blades?

No, but I'd take note of the saw rpm and compare that to the recommended speed range for the blade that you choose. Small dia blade in a 12" saw will have a lower surface speed / minute at the cutting edges.
Bigger industrial saw blades often have a kerf in the 4.x mm range. If you are only making a few cuts you could just take 2 passes adjusting the fence to get your 6mm groove.

Don't forget safety, many saws use the riving knife to attach the saw blade guard and so I assume you will have an exposed blade. This means being even more aware of the risk and being extra cautious. On the other hand having the blade in clear view can in itself make you more aware !

I seem to remember that DeWALT used to have a dado blade for their radial arm saw that was much smaller in diameter than the saw blade. Thinking back it was probably around 8" - I'm sure others will be able supply the exact dimensions. So, I can't see this being a problem. In fact it may well be an advantage slowing down the peripheral speed, if the cut is wider. Though it does beg the question - why not make multiple passes with an ordinary blade? 🤔

Not too sure about older saws like the startrite you mention but a lot of newer saws manufactured for use in the uk tend to have very short threaded sections on the arbour to prevent the use of thicker or multiple blades as after fitting the blade retaining flange washer only a thread or two are left exposed for threading the nut on to. There are of course exceptions like my Laguna Fusion which have over an inch of thread for fitting various options to.

No, but I'd take note of the saw rpm and compare that to the recommended speed range for the blade that you choose. Small dia blade in a 12" saw will have a lower surface speed / minute at the cutting edges.
Bigger industrial saw blades often have a kerf in the 4.x mm range. If you are only making a few cuts you could just take 2 passes adjusting the fence to get your 6mm groove.
That is what I would normally do but I would still have to buy a flat ground tooth. For box joints etc a wider blade would be far quicker.
I seem to remember that DeWALT used to have a dado blade for their radial arm saw that was much smaller in diameter than the saw blade. Thinking back it was probably around 8" - I'm sure others will be able supply the exact dimensions. So, I can't see this being a problem. In fact it may well be an advantage slowing down the peripheral speed, if the cut is wider. Though it does beg the question - why not make multiple passes with an ordinary blade? 🤔
Because I would have to buy a flat ground blade and a 6mm blade will be far quicker. I would prefer a box joint blade but these are not readily available in the UK.

I use a CMT grooving blade in my Kity saw with no issues. I use it for groves in boxes for bottoms and groves in mitre joints for splines,
I also have a 6 inch dado set for my Dewalt radial arm saw but don't use it now as I can also use the groving blade in that.
I forgot box joints in truth that was my main reason for my purchase.

Back