Small and mid sized routers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a pro quality small to mid sized router to use where the 1/2 inchers are too big. I am thinking of getting a door hinge jig and wondered what you are all using. I have seen the Makita that is half way between a trimmer and a small router.
The trend t5 looks good in the middies but not sure about the t4. What are you guys using for smaller work.

carlb40":1hhu8qim said:
I use a porter cable 690. It is smallish but can still take 1/2 inch bits :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porter-Cable- ... 58aaf10106

Mine is the variable speed version.

11A? :shock: I assume you have a 110v version? Just over 1200w motor. If it was 240v it would be over 2600w and it would be physically larger than a 1/2" router.

MMUK":16hlx98v said:
carlb40":16hlx98v said:
I use a porter cable 690. It is smallish but can still take 1/2 inch bits :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porter-Cable- ... 58aaf10106

Mine is the variable speed version.

11A? :shock: I assume you have a 110v version? Just over 1200w motor. If it was 240v it would be over 2600w and it would be physically larger than a 1/2" router.
Yes as i got it direct from the usa about 6yrs ago and think i only paid about 50 quid for it new :mrgreen:

All my tools are 110v apart from the flex ( porter cable 557) biscuit joiner. :)

I've had a T5 for a few years that I have been very happy with. Nice smooth plunge action, soft start motor, good chip collection and well put together, quality feel. If I were buying now I'd get the Festool 1010 but the T5 is a very nice machine.

I'd recommend the Makita RP1110C. Much prefer it to my Festo and Elu machines
Matt

Hi T-bone, Have you considered the draper expert 1350w combination router, It takes 1/4 and 1/2" bits and quite well priced.I had one a few years back (alas it was stolen) and was impressed having bought some rubbish Draper products before.I suppose if you already have a dedicated 1/2" router then maybe a small makita is the way to go. Phil p.s A friend owned a poter cable router with a D handle before and was a great wee router to use, I think the D handle can be bought with the same model that the guy above mentioned .

pswallace":3mxdb1t4 said:
Hi T-bone, Have you considered the draper expert 1350w combination router, It takes 1/4 and 1/2" bits and quite well priced.I had one a few years back (alas it was stolen) and was impressed having bought some rubbish Draper products before.I suppose if you already have a dedicated 1/2" router then maybe a small makita is the way to go. Phil p.s A friend owned a poter cable router with a D handle before and was a great wee router to use, I think the D handle can be bought with the same model that the guy above mentioned .

Thanks for the recommendation, I have just googled it. What I have in my mind is a pro router with all the quality of the big ones but lighter and smaller. I have looked at the Makita which looks well made, I have the big one. Think I need to handle them all to see which one feels good.
Cheers tbone.

Back