Slowing a lathe down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverick54

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys is there an electrical device that can be fitted, to slow a mini lathe with a minimum RPM of 700 down to around 350 - 400rpm

Hi

I don't know whether you can introduce a potentiometer into your machine to slow it down to your requirements. However you could give these guys a call they may be able to assist you (they manufacturer or design this range of equipment). RS stock some of their products and I seen some of their potentiometer for about a tenner.

Meggitt Electronic Components Ltd. Ohmic House, Westmead Industrial Estate, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN5 7US. 01793487301

However, within the forum I sure that there will be someone with more knowledge on the subject than me, who can give you some qualified peer advice.

It would be good if you could provide some feedback as I sure this thread could assist others.

If the lathe uses an induction motor (Most use this type and a quick way to verify is that it will have a blimp about 35mm across on the side where the phase compensating capacitor sits) then I'm afraid that there is no simple way to slow the motor down since it is synchronous with the AC frequency.

Jon

The previous comment about induction motors is correct - the speed is match the supply frequency. I suspect your only options are

1. modify the pulley sizes

2. replace the motor with a 3 phase induction motor, which will involve buying a single to 3 phase inverter as well as the motor. These are not so expensive these days (about £100 depending on HP) but it's still money going out - unless you can take advantage of the inverter by changing the motors on other kit as well. Variable speed on the lathe is certainly a useful extra.

I don't know of any other methods, but others may have some ideas.

K

Robbo3":1scn59b2 said:
Perhaps it would be better to say why you need to slow the lathe down rather than ask if it's possible. :)

There was another thread on this subject only a few weeks back
- slowing-a-lathe-down-t66914.html

That link answered my question thanks. Was it possible was the question I intended to ask. Why I needed to was you being curious lol. =D>

If you have the DIY ability, one of the cheapest ways to slow a mini lathe is to use a industrial sewing machine 1/2hp clutch motor. It usually has to be built into a bench set-up so stops the lathe being easily transportable. Could be done for less than £50 with a used motor, just over £100 new, and would be foot operated. I have seen one set up and it works great.

Not an original idea, it was written about in one of the late Bill Jones books, but as said I have seen one and works fine. Fitted to a Axminster 330 lathe. The guy's disabled and uses it while seated.

shaver01":3lbpgttx said:
If you have the DIY ability, one of the cheapest ways to slow a mini lathe is to use a industrial sewing machine 1/2hp clutch motor. It usually has to be built into a bench set-up so stops the lathe being easily transportable. Could be done for less than £50 with a used motor, just over £100 new, and would be foot operated. I have seen one set up and it works great.

Not an original idea, it was written about in one of the late Bill Jones books, but as said I have seen one and works fine. Fitted to a Axminster 330 lathe. The guy's disabled and uses it while seated.

Thats a great idea thanks. Sewing machines are often available cheap. Might give that a try.

Back