Slingshots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hang the bow in the workshop/office as it's a thing of beauty.........
Took your advice...
20221216_091442.jpg

I hear that knives should be thrown from the tip and not the handle. it's going to be a little hard with that one.

As tame as the deer are here in the states (suburbs, they run from half a mile away in rural areas), you could hold the handle end of that thing and get a few here.

Well if anyone likes squirrel stew and wants to catch their own I’ve got a couple of acres with them running riot. I’ve got a .22 air rifle but thats not a lot of use whe they can run out of range vertically up a tree in no time. any ideas?
Pile of peanuts at 35m from a window

My mother's favorite type. Only cat type I've seen that will seek water, but ours was a "outside during the day and kill it if it moves" kind of cat, too.

to the OP's original comment - we have a rabbit problem here, too. but about a year ago, a killer cat showed up at our door from a street over and eventually the owner gave up on her and gave us her papers. Street over has four other cats and five dogs, and "killer cat" doesn't care for other animals of any type at all.

two small animals a day. I haven't seen her get a large rabbit, but she gets the little ones....and everything else. Only static so far is someone down the street who feeds birds.

We also had a groundhog problem in the yard behind us, but the owner is turkish and got some kind of outdoor dog (pleasant disposition, doesn't bark) and I haven't seen a ground hog in a long time.

if there's pressure nearby (more rabbits who will move in) then killing them is a never ending battle. having an animal that kills them is pretty effortless.

View attachment 149043
until they bring you presents to your pillow in bed!

I've had my new recurve bow for a couple of weeks now and a beautiful thing it is, too. In an unfrequented part of a reserve I have set up a target - a 30cm square double layer piece of carpet and have been going there each morning at 6:30 (when it's not raining) to practise and slowly the art of intuitive shooting is coming back to me. Currently at the point where I can get a good grouping on the target, four arrows in 30 seconds at a 30 metre range. Good enough for rabbits.
Just this evening, a couple of hours ago there was a rabbit in the garden, a big fellow. A beautiful clear shot, range about 12metres, a bank beyond to catch the arrow in case of a miss - perfect! From the comfort of my deck I nocked a 700 spine, 125 grain carbon arrow, went to full draw.... and when it came to let fly, I just couldn't do it.
200 bucks I paid for that bow so that was a waste of money. Bloody rabbits..!
Just imagine him surrounded by a few veg, and wearing a nice puff pastry hat, may help 🙂

On a completely seperate issue can modetators comment on why we are seeing adverts for eco buddy heaters, which everyone knows are a con. Do the owners not have any control over advertisements on the forum?
Not if they come from an ad service to fill in gaps.

On a completely seperate issue can modetators comment on why we are seeing adverts for eco buddy heaters, which everyone knows are a con. Do the owners not have any control over advertisements on the forum?
Go into your Preferences and click the box to not show adds. You have the control.

Pete

Go into your Preferences and click the box to not show adds. You have the control.

Pete
Cheers for that Pete (@Inspector ). I'm sure that "originally" id set to not show ads - the "videos" were getting annoying, especially when they move "after scrolled past" to the bottom right corner when viewing on a tablet.

I had a squirrel "problem" some years ago - critters were in the loft. Got myself an air rifle (right up to the legal limit). I remember the seller asking what it was for - so I told him.

His advice was without a head shot - they'd get up and go. I shot one from 6 feet away - missed the head and got the upper torso. It laid out flat - moments later, it got up and ran off. :mad: After that - I made damn sure it was always a head shot.

Had one pesky one - had to get a trap for that one. A Snickers bar worked a treat as bait.

If I had a rabbit issue, I wouldn't use an air rifle and if I couldn't use a regular rifle - I'd be temped to get a compound bow. :)

until they bring you presents to your pillow in bed!

Fortunately, the one here doesn't do that, but she has come into the house with bird in mouth before, and on a day when she was doing delayed killing (bird flying in the house, but she recaptured it and we opened the door and she took off with it, probably in fear that we were going to rob her of it).

Ticks, really, are a real problem here. She has to be combed and checked for ticks and she has a stupid hobby - walking up to a group of deer and hunching into the grass so they can lick her head and back (apparently, cats are salty to deer). but the deer ticks don't just come off of deer here (not sure if you have deer ticks in the UK). They're on anything where deer are and rubbing against weeds or fences, etc, an result in one hitching a ride.

Lyme disease is a problem here, and son had a bout with it this year.

Fortunately, the one here doesn't do that, but she has come into the house with bird in mouth before, and on a day when she was doing delayed killing (bird flying in the house, but she recaptured it and we opened the door and she took off with it, probably in fear that we were going to rob her of it).

Ticks, really, are a real problem here. She has to be combed and checked for ticks and she has a stupid hobby - walking up to a group of deer and hunching into the grass so they can lick her head and back (apparently, cats are salty to deer). but the deer ticks don't just come off of deer here (not sure if you have deer ticks in the UK). They're on anything where deer are and rubbing against weeds or fences, etc, an result in one hitching a ride.

yes i'm from British Columbia, have to comb dog for ticks after walks.

We do get ticks here. I had Lyme ealrier this year as well. The antibiotics they prescribed me were pretty awful let aline the disease itself.

Haven't read all the posts but I live in the countryside with a large rabbit 🐰 population. They come into my garden and dig holes everywhere they ofter eat thru the guide wire for my robotic mower. I have caught 15 plus one summer in a bait trap and the release them somewhere else. Barking dogs don't annoy them at all, and they are far to quick for my collie (left)

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but I have been told to plant wild garlic around my boundary - alledgy rabbits are allergic to it and will keep their distance. Cannot confirm if this works or not - I bought 50 plants from a grower on the Internet, and don't know if it was my soil/the way that I planted them but only a handful of the plants survived. The plants themselves only cost me about £10 so maybe worth a try

We do get ticks here. I had Lyme ealrier this year as well. The antibiotics they prescribed me were pretty awful let aline the disease itself.

Son's bout was bad. He got sick with three other things over the next two months. I'm convinced that the lyme overwhelmed his immune system to some extent.

one of those things was covid, which he got over pretty quickly, but then his immune system went bonkers for a couple of days leaving him covered in appearing and disappearing spots that were worrying.

I've not seen anything that knocked him out like lyme, though. It came on at once and he was like a lump within a day and a very high fever.

I had a squirrel "problem" some years ago - critters were in the loft. Got myself an air rifle (right up to the legal limit). I remember the seller asking what it was for - so I told him.

His advice was without a head shot - they'd get up and go. I shot one from 6 feet away - missed the head and got the upper torso. It laid out flat - moments later, it got up and ran off. :mad: After that - I made damn sure it was always a head shot.

Had one pesky one - had to get a trap for that one. A Snickers bar worked a treat as bait.

If I had a rabbit issue, I wouldn't use an air rifle and if I couldn't use a regular rifle - I'd be temped to get a compound bow. :)
had a cat here could chase a squirrel up a 45 foot tree and whack it out of the tree, squirrel falls in the grass, gets up and runs into the woods.cat comes down the tree and saunters of to woods,5 minutes later wanders back with squirrel. i watched this from an easy chair and i dont get how the cat new it had doomed the squirrel with one whack or how it found it after wards in a jungle

Back