Slimjim81's Part 2 Intermediate Submission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I have finally got round to starting my competition project. I have had a lot going on. I've just built a tallboy and an en-suite bathroom. Also, the Les Paul project has taken up a couple of weekends. I thought I wasn't going to be able to get this competition piece started in time, but I managed to get enough done for the first intermediate submission.

You probably know, I am building this:

509679578_98b203c3f1_o.jpg

One of the points the judges made in the critique for part 1 was that the 30mm carcase thickness was very wasteful unless I could get 1 1/2" stock. Well, here is my 1 1/2" Cherry. :wink:

1251073293_007627e8cd_o.jpg

Believe it or not, I got 4 cu.ft. of this cherry for £40. Yes thats right £40! I got it back in December at British Hardwoods sale. They were selling two pallets off for £10 cu.ft.!

I have made a start on the CD drawers. I prepared all the wood and cut the dovetails for the sides and drawer fronts. The drawer fronts, I have done in Walnut to provide a nice contrast for the dovetails.

1251023847_1f9671559f_o.jpg

The dovetails were cut on the Leigh jig. This is the first time I have used the Leigh in anger, and I must say I am very very impressed. The dovetails are perfect and I was able to size them to the width of wood.

1251884606_1f4fd722fa_o.jpg

Thats it for now, see you in part 2. :wink:

Unfortunately, due to other more important commitments, I a not going to have time to get my entry finished before the deadline. So I am withdrawing. Good luck to all the entrants.

Thanks guys. The project will still be made, but completion will probably be nearer Christmas. I am moving house and DIY has taken priority unfortunately. :evil:

Latest posts

Back