Slim Parting Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willum

Reaction score
Some time after I started woodturning about 15 year ago I had a need for a narrow tool , I had kicking around, as you do , an old machine hacksaw blade . This a nominal inch wide , I cut it in half with an angle grinder then I ground the teeth off and then to a 90 degree angle point with the short side about 1cm long to the smooth edge. This tool has never needed sharpening though it has had a lot of use , so good has it been that I did later make a handle , the blade has a hole at each end and this I put a peg through to anchor it in the handle . I still have the unused half of the blade but it does not look as though I will ever need it . Nominal thickness is about 1/16" and now I would be lost without it.

I am NOT saying you are wrong in using one of those blades, I used to until I saw the devastation that another blade did to the hands of someone who overstretched the capabilities of the metal.

I feel that a warning should be given in using these obsolete blades IF ( a big if) the person who wishes to utilise such an item is a beginner, it could prove hazardous.

I KNOW that many turners, including a couple of professionals also use these old blades but I for one would shy away from it and purchase High Speed steel that can also shatter but usually with less explosive results.

Warmest regards, Peter.

Hi

I think it's also valid to point out that some of the home made versions I have seen do not have the blade anchored to the scales by rivets, relying on a glue joint to retain the blade within the handle in the event of a catch - not something I'd be too happy using.

Regards Mick

Back