Sliding Table Set Up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat129

Reaction score
Hi all,

Finally got myself a table saw, went for the Axminster AW10 as I got a really good deal second hand. Anyway im really confused about the sliding table set up.

Why does the main table need to be 1mm higher than the sliding table.

Thanks,

the sliding table is set higher than the main table so you dont drag the work piece

I've got the AW12 which is basically the same. Can't remember what the manual says but that doesn't matter as they're mostly for light entertainment.
If the main table was 1mm above the sliding table then once you clamped the work down the table wouldn't slide.
If you adjust the slider to 1mm above the main table then the work will vibrate and tear out [even with a zero clearance insert] when cutting due to being unsupported over the table.
The best way is to have the slider SLIGHTLY above the main table so that when clamped down the workpiece will still slide easily over the table while remaining well supported.

Cat129":jb6plbvn said:
Hi all,
Why does the main table need to be 1mm higher than the sliding table. Thanks,
I'm a little surprised it specifies 1 mm, but it should be set a bo'hair higher for the reasons given by others, i.e., reducing friction. I'd aim for 0.25 mm higher if you can work to that tight a tolerance, but 1 mm higher would be okay, and that's certainly better than 1 or 2 mm below the fixed table. Slainte.

Cat129":awmsy7oj said:
Why does the main table need to be 1mm higher than the sliding table.

Thanks,

The other way around, surely?

Cheers

Karl

Karl":2jnbt5k5 said:
The other way around, surely?

Cheers, Karl
You are quite right Karl. In my hasty reading of the question as worded I failed to spot Cat129 had swapped the tables. The moving or sliding table, as viewed from the operator's end, should be set higher than the fixed table to reduce or eliminate friction during cross cutting operations. Slainte.

Thanks for the replys, I missread the manual, as the manual had a picture of the main table height adjusters. I now have it all set up great. Thank you

It only needs to be 3 or 4 thou' above the cast table to avoid friction. The difficulty is in achieving this sort of clearance over the whole width of the cast table in all positions of the slider which is well nigh impossible on most saws. The answer to this question is 'above but as close as possible', how close depends on the flatness of both tables, how co-planar they are, and so on.

John

Back