Sliding Glass doors for Library

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennybon

Reaction score
I am currently building a library and need to incorporate sliding doors because of the addition of a library ladder to reach the top shelves! It is being built in white oak with black walnut accents, can anybody advise me on how I need to construct them without anything more than their rebated channels. I am against using modern fittings!

I cant think of a suitable way of making timber doors slide without modern fittings of some sort. Small cabinet doors which are wider than tall are ok running in a groove, but tall doors portrait shape will never run smoothly with timber to timber guides. I suppose there may be a traditional solution that could include a brass strip or similar. Maybe 2 brass wheels, rather like pulley wheels could be sunk into the door bottom and could then be made to run on a brass rod. The door bottom would be grooved so it sits down low.

Generally tall doors like wardrobe doors run best with a top track as it avoids racking.

Latest posts

Back