sliding dovetail bar ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents

I've an idea in mind to make for the secret santa, without giving too much away it's a gauge (of sorts) pivotal to the accuracy and usefulness of the end product will be the ability to remove a particular part of the gauge and replace it with another of a different size. I'll add here that the accuracy has to be greater than 0.25mm for the gauge to be effective.

The removable (swappable ??) part will locate into a slot. I initially thought about routing the slot and corresponding guide rail out of solid oak flooring (which i have an abundance of and is as hard as the proverbial nail) but i feel that over time the "fit" may slacken slightly with wear so am now thinking about something metal - preferably brass.

What i'd like is a brass sliding dovetail, I've had a long look on t'inter web but can't find any. There are metal sliding dovetails available for the world of photography (big lens mounts etc) but they are small and aluminium, what I'm after needs to be a tad "chunkier" and supplied in bar form so that i can cut off the desired lengths.

Has anyone seen any or does anyone know where I may get some of said bar or should I be approaching an engineering works with a CNC machine?

Cheers

Vinny

Back