sliding compound mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the site, and woodworking can you offer some advice.

I am looking at starting a large decking project which will involve cutting a lot of 4X4 posts and 6X2 joists so have been considering both the draper 250mm sliding mitre saw and the ryobi 254mm sliding mitre saw.

Which would you recommend
P.S My budget is under £200.

Cheers

Hi Harry, Welcome to the forum.
You could also have a look at the Jet and Axminster 10" SCMS. The Axminster one is currently on offer with stand for less than £140. So many of these tools are now made in the same factories in China and "badge engineered" it is often difficult to tell one brand from another. That said, either of these would be more than up to a decking project, though they might not have the accuracy for fine furniture work. The 4 x 4 posts might have to be cut half way through and turned over to complete the cut with a 10" blade but that isn't a big problem.

Hi harry have you considered the Macallister 12`` sliding mitre saw at b&q which i think is £150 the only fault i can say with it is the blade is a little coarse. However at £9.98 for 2 blades is definately not a bad deal.

Cheers Neil

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Rod do you have a link to your review.
I seem to be edging towards the Ryobi, unfortunately being a novice looks are higher up the buying order than the technical attributes of a tool.

This one does not seem to bad at all for the money.

ebay link

A 12" blade that will cut 14" wide and and over 4" deep (ideal for decking), it also has a double bevel and duel laser. He states the belt driven motor is whisper quite, well I have the Dewalt 718 which is also belt driven and that is quite. In fact this saw has got most of the things my Dewalt has (except that cuts 6" deep)and that cost hell of a lot more then this. It also has a 3 year warranty which mine didn't have.

I would say that it is a lot of saw for the money. The only downside (if it is a downside) is that it is not really a well known name.

Good luck with what ever you go for.

EDIT oops that one is gone but he has got some more

another ebay link

Cheers

Mike

There does seem to be a few brands around like SIP, Silverline etc where the saws are very reasonably priced however the question a novice like me wants to know is how much how are you paying for the lack of accuracy, reliability by buying a lesser known make compared to the better known brands.

Harry

not sure of the info but there was one on offer at screwfix today, i'll check the site later for a link

Back