sl hardwoods sacks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a couple of sacks a few years ago and will be looking for more shortly. 4 or 5 different species.
The largest piece was oak about 250 x 100 x 160mm. Many (mahogany ?) were 150 x 50 x 100mm. I used mine mainly for making small boxes and shaped for clock inserts. I am not into turning so cannot give an opinion.

Brian

clewlowm":1kbhhsmg said:
do people buy these? my offcut pile contains more than these

Folks that do scrollsaw work or small turners and carvers will use small bits. I was tempted to spend £13 in Hobbycraft a while ago on an small bag of mahogany blocks and small sheets. The whole lot would have half filled a small shoe box!

I make a lot of love spoons and other small wooden items from random hardwood offcuts as a paying hobby so I'd always be up for relieving people of their small 'scrap' boxes! :wink:

clewlowm":3f06zqwg said:
do people buy these? my offcut pile contains more than these

Thats all they are, the offcuts from their joinery works - JSM Joinery so get yourself some sacks and start reducing your pile :wink:

Jason

Pay them £80 to take away their waste for them? :shock:

For a Score it might be worth a punt but, £80 ..... No way Pedro.

My View on this subject is negative. SL Hardwoods get a lot of free advertising through this site, but still think its ok to sell there offcuts for a ridiculous amount of money. I live in Norwich and a lot of the Boat builders round here are more than happy to give them away rather than pay for a skip. My advice is boycot them they are over priced greedy traders who will one day come unstuck.
Rant over....

andypo":am77wodu said:
My View on this subject is negative. SL Hardwoods get a lot of free advertising through this site, but still think its ok to sell there offcuts for a ridiculous amount of money. I live in Norwich and a lot of the Boat builders round here are more than happy to give them away rather than pay for a skip. My advice is boycot them they are over priced greedy traders who will one day come unstuck.
Rant over....

Have you actually bought any timber from them or visited their yard? I suspect not as in my experience they are a helpful company able to supply a range of hardwoods and other consumables. I'm not aware that SLH benefit from free advertising here - I imagine all the banner adverts are paid for. If you mean the positive recommendations given by many people then are all these people wrong? They maybe aren't the cheapest but for hobby woodworkers or even professionals only needed small quantities I personally think they are good. Also if they are able to sell their offcuts then good luck to them - I wish I could!

Steve

promhandicam":79bvx3el said:
andypo":79bvx3el said:
Rant over....

Have you actually bought any timber from them or visited their yard? I suspect not as in my experience they are a helpful company able to supply a range of hardwoods and other consumables. I'm not aware that SLH benefit from free advertising here - I imagine all the banner adverts are paid for. If you mean the positive recommendations given by many people then are all these people wrong? They maybe aren't the cheapest but for hobby woodworkers or even professionals only needed small quantities I personally think they are good. Also if they are able to sell their offcuts then good luck to them - I wish I could!

Steve

Last thing I say on this subject.
In answer to your first assumption. Yes I have bought wood form them and I paid a premium to have it delivered. No I havent been to there yard but have been to a few other yards. I would say go to your local sawmillls failing that your local boat builders failing that your local furniture making shop then but only then use SL hardwoods.

I think that if you went into any of the suppliers of turning blanks and filled a sack with basic woods such as Ash, oak, beech, maple etc you would very soon be looking at spending £80 plus. Let alone two sacks which is what they are doing for £80

20 odd bits of wood between 3£-£5 would be all it take sto get to the price of their sacks.

As said I don't see them getting free advertising just people who have used them and been happy with their service like myself. Sure if you can find a source for free wood or cash in hand then thats fine but not all people want to trapse around joinery shops, mills etc to see whats going cheap.

Jason

I have used SL Hardwoods and was pleased with the service, not so keen on the £25 del charge considering what I spent but I accept that doing it for less, or nowt, is not really a goer, they've got to cover their costs.
Still wouldn't pay £80 for two sacks containing I know not what. :lol:

Edit. Seems that includes delivery so, I suppose you could say they are charging £55 for them. Still too high for me without knowing what I'd be getting, esp as to all intents it's waste (to them).

Back