Sky net.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldnt the world be a strange place if we were all the same!

I miss living by the river Tay and having to walk 2 miles to the pub but know plenty of people who consider living more that 5 minutes from a tube station to be rural. I also know people who think wood working is a strange hobby :eek:

Although, back to the original topic, I now see a lot more foxes when I am in the city than I ever did living by a forrest.

Digit":o1grvb25 said:
I met one who sticks in my mind who delivered a machine to me in what is now Milton Keynes.
Based on his beer gut I would think that his only exercise was running to the pub, and I recall him saying to me, 'what do you do with yourself!?'
He went on to explain that in 'the smoke' they had art galleries, opera, ballet, museums, but I was left with the distinct impression that he wouldn't know a Tu-tu from a Ta-ta!
I also recall Johnson's comments about London!

Roy.

For a start "What do you do with yourself" does not sound like a Londoner talking. But as I said we are proud of London and I will with draw from this conversation for obvious reasons.

Goodnight to you

Mike

Sorry if that offended you Mike but that is what he said.

Roy.

Digit":12g2tzr1 said:
That presupposes Moose that people are incapable of distinguishing twixt dog and Fox, and if I could not leave my door open for the reasons you mention I would move!

Roy.

Child abduction is (happily) super-rare; that's why it make headlines when it happens.

Forming mental statistics by counting tabloid headlines is not a wise notion.

BugBear

News papers exist to make money BB and 'cos such events are, as you say, rare they make good headlines. I am a supporter of free speech, but at the same time in this I think the press has a downside, when I was a kid I walked and cycled to school and played out doors when ever I could, but now the media has parents too scared to allow this generation the freedom that I enjoyed.
It's a great shame IMO.

Roy.

Digit":10wsdiuu said:
News papers exist to make money BB and 'cos such events are, as you say, rare they make good headlines. I am a supporter of free speech, but at the same time in this I think the press has a downside, when I was a kid I walked and cycled to school and played out doors when ever I could, but now the media has parents too scared to allow this generation the freedom that I enjoyed.
It's a great shame IMO.

Roy.

Your right Roy my mum or dad took me to school until I was 7 years old and from then on I used to catch the bus on my own each morning and then in the afternoon so that I could get some extra sweets I saved the bus fare and walked the 2 miles home. It was the same when my sister started school 2 months later my mum took her the first day, and then after that I had to take her. When I was ten my sister took my place and looked after my younger sister when she started school.

On the weekends and school holidays from about 5 years old I used to be out the door around 9 in the morning, and spend the day with my mates over the park, and unless it was my mums turn to make the cake and sandwiches for us all around lunch time (everyone's mum took their turn) my parents would not see me until tea time.
Alright the park was only behind the houses over the road but being around 1/2 mile long we were still out of sight and as far as I know our families were not worried.

Cheers

Mike

And according to the figures Mike there is little difference in the abduction figures from years ago, just people's perception. No comfort to parents facing a loss I agree, but children, IMO, have definitely been the losers and I find that very sad.

Roy.

big soft moose":18w1797s said:
StevieB":18w1797s said:
Wasn't SkyNet the computer system that started the nuclear Holocaust in Terminator?

Steve

yes - mauybe rupert murdoch has been sent back in time by the machines to destroy the free press :lol:
I doubt it Moose. he would get it wrong again!

Digit":3lf5pixm said:
And according to the figures Mike there is little difference in the abduction figures from years ago, just people's perception. No comfort to parents facing a loss I agree, but children, IMO, have definitely been the losers and I find that very sad.

Roy.

I agree with you 100%, we had the freedom that no child will ever know again :cry: And in my case the only thing I thought might attack me on a dark night was a banshee. :D (An Irish family)

Cheers

Mike

Its not a conspiracy.

They would never allow hunting in Hackney for foxes anyway.

I did some hunting in Hackney around 60 years ago for a different species.

I was raised in a rural area near Leeds and developed a hate of foxes mainly to the damage they do Got into trouble at school once for taking a day off with the locals out to smoke out a particular set that was causing problems.

On qualifying I left the area with a base in London and have lived and worked mainly in London up to retiring. The urban fox in my opinion is a problem separate to the hunting lobby. My kids are Londoners and have developed the lack of spacial awareness that most Londoners have. They would argue its a different spacial awareness but they are all anti fox hunting I don't argue as they know nowt.

When we lived in Sidcup it was reported there were 300 sets in the area. If we had 300 set where I lived near Leeds we would have had a major problem and ban or no ban it would have been sorted, and I would have assisted!

i'm not going to get into an argumernt about the rights and wrongs of fox control or the need or otherwise for control of urban foxes

but one point - foxes have "earths" or "dens", "Setts" are for badgers

In common with many other London boroughs, we have adopted the "London Fox Code", published by the London Wild Life Trust. This states that foxes are a desirable part of London's wild life heritage and control is unnecessary. Control will only be undertaken in exceptional circumstances. Nuisance from foxes can be mitigated by using humane control methods.

How desirable? Why? Who decided?

Roy.

I get annoyed with references to foxes, to be honest I don't care what they are called, they are still a problem, in my opinion. But thanks for the correction.

Back