Skirting profiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to find out about historically appropriate moldings.I have to put in for some skirting at a mid 17th century cottage. I suspect in a house its kind plain skirting would have been used in which case I wonder what a typical size might be.

Can anyone recommend a good book for getting this kind of historical info?

Skirtings are surely a Victorian invention, at least as far as artisan's dwellings go, so historically accurate would probably mean none...... That's what the conservation at the local council told us a number of years back (house dated 1605 with late Georgian lean-to kitchen) and I have found no evidence to the contrary since that time. We ended up putting in a low 4in skirting with a Torus bead as being typical of this area in the early Victorian period - but then we were retaining the "original" Victorian 4-panel doors and architraves so we simply picked out something in keeping with the rest of the house.

At the end of the day skirting boards came in to protect the base of the plaster from furniture legs and plastered walls was definitely something only found in the dwellings of the waelthy until some time into the Industrial Revolution.

For anyone looking for a Victorian reference might I suggest "The Victorian House Book" by Robin Guild (Sheldrake Press ISBN 1 873329 39 3), first published in the late 1980s and reprinted several times. This bok contains lots of detail photographs and drawings and is useful if like me you have a Victorian house and you'd like to make sure the detailing is reasonably in keeping with the original features.

Scrit

Yes agree with Scrit. Mid 17C cottage you might have earth floor (+ animal fat to make it a bit water resistant) or cobbles, or flags if you were a bit wealthier. Walls lime washed or lime plastered and washed. Skirtings unheard of although panelling, dado or full height, was coming in in posh houses.

cheers
Jacob

try the book -mouldings and architectural feature of the 16,17 and 18 century (quite a mouth full) has hundreds of line drawings of mouldings and where they are found i found it quite interesting

lugo35":10f2uq79 said:
try the book -mouldings and architectural feature of the 16,17 and 18 century (quite a mouth full) has hundreds of line drawings of mouldings and where they are found i found it quite interesting

Lugo - can you please supply the ISBN number (if it has one!). Thanks

Roger

bit of prob there, book is in a box somewhere after moving house will see if i can find it on amazon

would help if i posted the correct name of book :oops:
its this-
Mouldings and Turned Woodwork of the 16th, 17th and 18th Centuries (Paperback)
by Tunstall Small (Author), Christopher Woodbridge (Author)

Thanks folks,

Its a first floor room but I have no idea whether it was put in there… from the off or later on.

Client wants skirting so I'll advise plain or just torus.

milkman":3s58efp4 said:
Thanks folks,

Its a first floor room but I have no idea whether it was put in there… from the off or later on.

Client wants skirting so I'll advise plain or just torus.
A plain bead looks neat and sort of more timeless and older than a torus -which can look more victorian.

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":1wu3glcy said:
A plain bead looks neat and sort of more timeless and older than a torus -which can look more victorian.

cheers
Jacob

plain bead, is that the one like a groove but with a convex floor to it?
BeadedPanel-landscape-1.jpg

milkman":3i5rnpuk said:
oh i see, i thought that was a torus, molding names are v confusing. Thanks I happen to like that profile anyway
Yes sort of torus ish. Torus usually has a bit of a nib above and sometimes a splayed quirk below so is fancier. But you'd only call it "torus" if you were working with neo-classical in mind i.e. Georgian or Victorian, otherwise it's just a bead and could be done anywhere anytime.

chers
Jacob

I like that skirting profile , it's just a staff bead pinned on to a bit of PAR .

JFC":3mev181a said:
I like that skirting profile , it's just a staff bead pinned on to a bit of PAR .
Thats a good idea save a lot of effin about hadn't thought of it :lol:

cheers
Jacob

Latest posts

Back