Skirting boards and Architrave - what dimensions ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
Have worked out the lengths of skirting boards (87 metres) and architrave (76 metres) I need but have no idea on pattern or width.

Any thoughts ?

I can get in softwood (for painting) the following :

125mm or 175mm or 225mm skirting boards in ogee.

50mm or 63mm architraves in ogee.

Never done architraves before - there is about £20 difference between 50mm and 63mm. Do the 63mm look nicer generally?
Was thinking 175mm in the skirting boards but never done it so not sure ! Do you have say 225mm downstairs and 125mm in bedrooms upstairs or no difference ?
What looks good ?

Skirting = £398 (225mm) / £322 (175mm) / £238 (125mm) so the whold lot should be under £500 which is what i guessed (plus paint but I have some I think - not looking forward to painting 163 metres...)

House is 1900's granite cottage - no interior style really yet - just all white and have oak doors (http://www.jbkind.com/productdetails.asp?parent=56 (bottom right))

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,

For my money I would look at oak architraves at least to match the doors. I've done both in my house (painted first) and am in the process of replacing the painted for oak as they look so much better - to me anyway.

With regard sizes it realy depends on the room sizes and heights and the look you are aiming for. Narrow skirtings give a more modern look. Wider ones a more period feel. Why not cut up a few lengths of cardboard to the appropraite widths and see what looks best.

Just my 2p worth

James

(hammer) If you decide on painted go for pre moulded MDF skiting and achitrave. It comes already primed and does not have shakes/knots. May be a bit dearer initially but saves much labour. Usually stocked at the bigger builders merchants like Jewsons etc. (hammer)

Thanks - still undecided :)

James have you replaced the liners too ? Or just the architraves ? What about skirting boards ?

Not sure I can get oak architraves in my budget but might look into it - much prefer oiling wood rather than painting it....

Ed

Hi Ed,

I have replaced the liners too, though I must confess on a couple of doors I have simply lined the existing liner wiht oak veneered ply. This actually works rater well if you are carefull and as the rooms I was working on were decorated it earnt me a lot of browney points for not have to re-decorate. Just cut the ply a little oversize and plabe to fit once glued for a perfect fit.

James

Back