Skip rescue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les chicken

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend who installs double glazing rang to say they were taking down a rotten conservatory that looked like mahogany, it was all going in the skip. If I wanted to salvage some bits to get down there quick. Took the trailer and filled it up with as much as I could carry, pieces ranged from 5x2 ish window sills to 4x1/2 cladding.

Bit of planing and sawing and sanding and danish oil.

301721767169c57d5899876d4cfda6b78dedb036a5f240d0248966a2.jpg

63169730916669789b6ddacbca0209e577a9c779d5584d244e6c674e.jpg

264145282102d12a6d1b262ba8a0f53f15c73b031228f8518560a0c7.jpg

One garden table ands loads left over.

Les

les chicken":163y81ru said:
Bit of planing and sawing and sanding and danish oil.
Yeah, it'd be awful if a project like that actually involved effort or skill. You can tell it was just casually thrown together :roll: .

(hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Excellent piece of work, smashing, looks good, what else can I say??? Oh yes "Where are the WIP photo's"??????
How am I ever going to get any better if people don't share there technique with me :) :)

But as I said an excellent piece of work.

Cheers Alan.

Nice bit of work there =D> .
You seem to have got nice tight joints around the edge was it difficult to clamp up.
Neil

Neil

Having made one a few years ago using biscuits and a band clamp, the joints have now opened up from leaving outdoors.

This time I used two pocket screws and gorilla glue at each joint so no clamping. Will have to see how it shapes up in the open air.

Les

There used to be some freely accessable skips near me that was owned by a shop fitting company. Used to get loads of free mdf and plenty of hardware offcuts. Unfortunately the company got wind of people digging around in the skips and I think health and safety went balistic and they eventually fenced it all off.

Nice table bty... very nice indeed (jealous mode engaged) :p

Very Nice Table -
there is a skip opposite from me at the moment full of ripped out windows. Is there much I can make out of UPVC :lol:

Andy

Nice table Les and even better when it is wood saved from a skip - well done on both! :wink:

looks great les, i'm jeleous of all the lovely wood you get FOC!

Wow, what a steel - and an superbly executed project to put your latest salvagings into practice.

I get free oak from work, only rather small sections of timber (3-1/2x1-1/2?), mainly used to 'stick' the larger green oak and sleepers we buy in, from France I believe... I keep collecting and one day I might just have a use for it. I've made a couple of luthier clamps though and it's always good for practice.

But free MAHOGANY, well, that's just something else. I hear it's harder to find in general these days, and when you do find some, it'll cost you an arm and a leg as well!! :shock:

Nice one. :wink:

Back