Sketchup rotate tool Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWatters

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wasting a lot of time trying to get the rotate tool to work right. How do I force it to rotate about a particular axis (eg the reg axis)? I know you can hold the shift key down to make the current axis sticky but I can't get the portractor to offer me the red axis in the first place! No matter where I place it on some objects it only offers me the blue or green axis. I've tried changing my point of view as that sometimes helps. I've tried pressing arrow keys. I can't see anything in the help file. Anyone know?

As Waterhead indicated, you can place the protractor on a face whose normal (line drawn perpendicular to the face) is oriented as desired. Then Hold SHift to lock the orientation and move the protractor to the desired center of rotation. Left click to set the rotation point and you can let go of the Shift key.

Another method is to place the center of rotation as usual but hold the LMB while dragging along the edge or a guideline that is coincident with the axis of rotation. Let up on the button and the protractor will be oriented as desired. Both of these methods also work with the Yellow Protractor tool for setting guidelines.

Back