SketchUp for Free?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
SketchUp/Google has just announced that they are offering a free version of SketchUp now. It doesn't have all the capability of V5, which they are now calling Pro but it should be capable of doing a fair amount and I expect most woodwrkers would get a lot of use out of it.

Check out this link: http://www.sketchup.com/?sid=368

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Google or SketchUp. I'm just a happy SketchUp user.

Dave,
Thanks for that - a great link! Not tried it but reading the differences, it doesn't sound like a casual user would be missing a lot.

HURRAH! At last I can find out what you lot go on about - not understand it mind you, but at least find out... :lol:

Time for that CAD/Design forum now...? :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

That's an extraordinary offer - grab it while it's there. Follow the link and check out the video on a) it's power, and b) the brilliant marketing link-up with google earth. Whoever made that association deserves a hefty bonus: right, I'm off to draw my house for google earth... :lol:

Come on UK woodworkers - we can really make something of our 'where are you' links now...

The reduced functionality appears to only be in fairly esoteric areas, to be honest. A real bargain, IMHO.

That is fantastic news - thanks. I've almost 0 minutes left on both my trial copies - and had been agonising on whether to splash out or stick to my other tried and tested sketching methods (eh - pen and paper).
I couldn't find any link to download it though - anyone already done so?
Cheers
Gidon

[Edit: here]

Wow! Well there is no excuse now guys & gals. A bit galling for anyone having bought it recently though!

The "missing" bits are not going to affect us at all, really. I've tried the sandbox stuff and got nowhere. Most of us do not need the export stuff either.

I can see there being large numbers of CAD-widows in the near future.

Cheers
Steve

One thing I've noticed, though, to zoom in in Sketchup I roll my mouse towards me, to zoom in in Google Earth I have to roll it the other way.

But I'm not going to start my day by being Mr Grumpy.

Cheers
Steve

I've had quick play - they seem to have been very fair on the features they've left out of the free version. With most of them being genuinely more useful for people using it commercially / professionally (for which you must use the Pro version anyway). I can't see many features that I'd miss personally ... yet.
Cheers
Gidon

Gee, I thought there might at least be a few people who would be a little excited. Maybe no one cares about free stuff.

:D :D :D

I haven't downloaded the free version (and probably won't) but I'll be happy to try assist any of you who do as I have for others. If you ask for a how to or something please let me know what version you have. Unless it has been changed, V4 won't open V5 files.

Enjoy it all.

Steve,
Fame at last - a lever in 3D warehouse! I reckon we should have a comp - first one to get a model rated in the most popular category(according to Google's list).

woodshavings":37ipbnx7 said:
Tried download but didn't work :( Said server not found ... gone off line because of demand I wonder?

I've found the same thing. I'll try again later when the rush has died down. I tried the trial version and liked it but not enough to part with £300 for it.

cheers

George

Dave R
Thamk very much for the post as I have always had trouble with the cad program that I have ( just can get my head around it ) :? :? .
I have had a little play with this and it seems much easier \:D/

Dave,

Thanks for the heads-up. I have downloaded it and played around with it - it seems very easy to use, especially when compared with AutoCAD!!!!

One question - is it possible to import 2D AutoCAD models into sketchup to convert into 3D? I have been completely defeated by AutoCAD's 3D functions - made my head explode!

Regards

Gary

Taffy: not quite sure:

The export functions are restricted in the free version, but the help files appear to suggest that you can import most stuff:

SketchUp allows you to import 3D models, such as DWG and DXF CAD files, for placement within your model. Import a file using the Import menu item in the File menu.

SketchUp allows you to import 2D raster images, including JPEG and BMP, for placement within your model Import a file using the Import menu item in the File menu.

Does that help? I reckon 'try it and see' should answer you... :wink:

Back