Sir Paul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if the youngsters hear some of the older stuff then they will realise just how bad the stuff they listen to really is, I saw twenty seconds of some Billy Irish on the news and what a role model, it tells you that you can make it big with no talent just by blagging it.
When you say things like that I wonder if you sound just like your Dad did when he was saying things just like that about The Beatles, etc, 50-60 years ago... ;)

Neither Sir Paul or Diana were remotely close to performances in decades past. That an assessment needs to be suffixed or prefixed with "for their age" is evidence enough.

It was a nostalgia trip - nothing wrong with that - it gave pleasure to many (possibly millions) listening/watching.

Paul in his day was a good singer but a better player and song writer (IMHO). I've been embarrassed to hear him sing especially at the Royal concert a few years ago and it was noticeable how many 'Friends' he had at Glastonbury to 'Help' him. Someone please tell him to stop now!

However, I did go to a Leonard Cohen concert in 2008 when he was 75 or so. Like him or not, his voice was the same as it was in the 60's/70's. AND, although he took a few breaks from singing whilst the band and backers did their thing (very well), he was on stage working from 7.30ish till we HAD to leave at nearly11.00pm to get the train!

Best gig I've ever been to.

Phil

However, I did go to a Leonard Cohen concert in 2008 when he was 75 or so. Like him or not, his voice was the same as it was in the 60's/70's. AND, although he took a few breaks from singing whilst the band and backers did their thing (very well), he was on stage working from 7.30ish till we HAD to leave at nearly11.00pm to get the train!

Best gig I've ever been to.

Phil
Did he have Javier Mas backing him? I'd pay to see him alone.

My best? A toss up between Pink Floyd in Wembley and Simon & Garfunkel in Feyenoord.

So hard to decide - so many different types of music and therefore ambiences. Haven't ever seen anybody I was disappointed with, though, which I guess is a result.

I wasn't there, but this is worth watching just for the crowd. Dear God.

I haven't seen his performance yet (too preoccupied watching youtube clip of the Ukrainian war), but I like Paul McCartney - I think he was the best Beatle.

I saw him live (with Wings) when he visited Auckland around 1994/95 (one of very few live concerts I've been to).

I'd just broken up with my first wife Judith, and sung my heart out during "Hey Jude".

Speaking of old entertainers past their use by date, my current wife and I went to see Leonard Cohen on his last tour out this way. As expected for an old guy, he lacked the energy of his youth and his voice was very gravelly. My wife was very disappointed (she's been a fan of his for decades) but I enjoyed it.

Gotta make allowances for old fellows - or that's what I tell my wife when I come in knackered after doing sweet FA.

Cheers, Vann.
I was never a Leonard Cohen fan, until I bought my wife(who is) the "Live in London" album. Angelic backing singers and some of the best musicians in the world contrasting nicely with his "old testament voice". He did write some great stuff.

There seems to be something missing from the singers of today,
When you say things like that I wonder if you sound just like your Dad
That might just be it, todays singers don't reflect the times and parents, dads or mums are not worried about their kids listening to them because they are so limp, just someone making a noise without any presence, they no longer demand attention. Only history will tell, but I doubt many of them will be remembered in say twenty years time because they have had so little impact but I suppose to be fair everything that can be done or sung has already been done and just like buying machinery we now seem to accept lower standards.

A lot of those we hold in high regard had the opportunity to hone their skills at a time when there were live venues in just about every middling size town and reviews were in a local paper. There was time to develop rather than be thrust onto a global stage with little warning. That said, there are some excellent current musicians, it's just that we won't know who will match up to Macca until 2060 or so

There seems to be something missing from the singers of today,

That might just be it, todays singers don't reflect the times and parents, dads or mums are not worried about their kids listening to them because they are so limp, just someone making a noise without any presence, they no longer demand attention. Only history will tell, but I doubt many of them will be remembered in say twenty years time because they have had so little impact but I suppose to be fair everything that can be done or sung has already been done and just like buying machinery we now seem to accept lower standards.
Sounds like you have not actually listens to a lot of the current generation of musicians. There were superficial groups in every era. We have just forgotten about them…

As for Miss ‘Irish’. I have both her albums and listen to them pretty regularly.

Back in the day your choice of music told the world who you were: mods v rockers, etc. I'm too young to remember but as I understand it Beatles fans despised The Stones and vice versa. I thought both were ancient has - beens, but what did I know in 1972? Pop was always unrelenting awful, no matter what era you choose. Anyone remember the Bay City Rollers? Neither do I, but they were huge for about 3 weeks apparently.

So - modern pop is no more horrific than, say, "The Birdie Song", or anything from Jive Bunny. You shouldn't expect great things from the 2022 version of Bananarama.

The real problem is that marketing is all about £€¥$ and never about talent or creativity. All this means is that you have to go rummaging for the good stuff. It is out there if you can find it - I am currently enjoying this:

However, I'm still listening to all the good old stuff: having an AC/DC revival at the moment, along with Camel and some of the heavierThin Lizzie offerings (Thunder and Lightening for eg) . The real problem is that with 60 years of cracking good music to choose from, new acts have to shout very loudly to get heard.

Personally I was always of the opinion that Lennon & McCartney as a team beat their solo work hands down; neither could capture their unique accomplishments on their own. But the real importance of The Beatles is that without them, we wouldn't have had the music revolution that gave us Jimmi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, etc., and the world would be a much poorer place.

Just for fun, I shall offer up this which is also on my current play list. "An oldie but goodie".

Back