Sip 01360 Tailstock issues?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
SOLVED

Hey there folks. Got a bit of an issue with my tailstock. You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the names of things / terms.

So my live centre tip got misplaced while I was on holiday, so I bought this one from axminster to replace it.

Now the issue is that I got a new live centre barrel with the tips, which I obviously need to fit into the tail stock. However when I remove the barrel from my tail stock I can't put the new one in, and there seems to way to slot it into my current tailstock barrel.

At this point I should note that the tips fit into the old slot but...I am not too comfortable with the fit, so I don't want to risk injuring myself.

Old barrel in tailstock
http://imgur.com/X2d6hd4

Tailstock
http://i.imgur.com/6TZte28.jpg

Any advice would be very appreciated! I...really need to turn something.

The tailstock barrel should not be removed, it stays in place.

Normally winding the barrel right back into the tailstock ejects the revolving centre body/stub.

You need to remove the old revolving centre body from the tailstock barrel and fit the new one in the Morse taper in the tailstock barrel.

All the above is assuming your tailstock barrel has a standard Morse taper and that your new purchase is the correct size, Morse No. 1 or Morse No.2.

I think I bough the right one, and I knew I had to eject the old one but I have no idea how. I took it out to see if I could knock it out with a bar but it seems like it's built into the barrel?

It looks like your lathe should have a No. 2 Morse taper the same as most of the clones of that pattern sold by many others.
The centre is the same as the one supplied with my old perform version and is removable.

You may have to wind the leadscrew fully into the barrel to eject the centre body. When firmly binding at its full depth sharply tap the end of the spindle in the centre of the handwheel with a hammer.

Ok! Problem was that the old one had a hole going straight through it, so when I was trying to hit it with a bar I was actually hitting nothing.

Solved it now with a bit of brute force applied to the correct place.

Thanks!

The old live centre was probably one for boring lamps. That would be why the tip was removable and the shaft was hollow.

By the way, ring centres are often equally as usable as conical point centres as long as you are able to centre the piece of wood to start with.

I recently acquired an SIP lathe with a burnt out motor , it would have been uneconomic to repair but it did have 2 live centres and two revolving centres all MT1 . not sure of the model of the machine but it all went for scrap , sadly did not occur to me someone may have found those bits useful . If anyone has use of the centres happy to let yu have them for postage/collection cost , they seem good bearingwise but no use to me. Bill

Back