SIP 01321 - getting the blade square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb1003

Reaction score
I've got my first TS - a SIP 01321 from ebay. So far, I've found the blade didn't go to 90 degrees (fixed), the fence extrusion is bent (turned it through 90 degrees to fix that, which cuts down the rip width a bit), and that 10" 16mm bore blades are few and far between. The fence itself has a bit of give in, and he mitre rail is a little narrower than the mitre slot, so it has a bit of give in it - I think another reviewer mentioned that. I'm working on a sled as suggested to me by jyates.

Overall the saw feels functional but very basic and tricky to adjust. Already regretting not spending a little more, and I haven't even used it much yet... I have a nice SCMS and router and they've spoilt me...

My final problem is how to square the blade with the fence. It's nearly 2mm out, and I can't see from looking underneath how to adjust it. The manual is as much use as a chocolate teapot....

Any hints?

Definitely an RTFM moment. The info is there in the manual after all.

In case anyone else comes looking, here is what I did.

1. Turn saw upside-down. If you don't have a saw stand (I did), then stick the saw on top of a couple of 4x2s between two trestles. If you just put the saw on a flat surface you'll foul the riving knife - and also access ot the blade and the mitre slot is useful.

2. Remove bottom cover
3. Tilt blade to 45 degrees
4. You can now feel (but probably not see, which is why the picture in the manual is so damn useless) four 14mm nuts. Use a socket to loosen.
5. Tilt saw back to 90 degrees, and adjust until it is square to the mitre slot. I put the mitre guide into the slot, and used this to measure off.
6. Tilt saw back to 45 degrees, and do up the sockets. I did them up careflly and slowly in a diagonal pattern.
7. Tilt back to 90 degrees, and hopefully find that your blade is still square.

The blade might be in its correct orientation.

So you need to check that the blade is 90% to the mitre slot. Then you adjust the fence to the slot and blade.

Otherwise follow JBB advice.

Blades...you can use reduction rings/washers to reduce the bore to 16mm. as for the mitre gauge, I had the same problem with my own cheapish table saw. I got round this, I think with a tip from this site, by using a punch along the edges of the gauge rail. This spreads the gauge a little, then careful filing to get a snug fit. Hope this makes sense. With cheap gauges, it's often trial and error anyway. Dont give up hope. Dibs.

Back