Sintered Steel Turning Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewwh

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience - good or bad - of using sintered steel (powdered metallurgy/PM/ASP2030/ASP2060) turning tools?

I'm especially interested in edge taking, edge retention and ease of grinding in comparison to M2 HSS.

Having read various reports and claims; ranging from glowing reviews, to doubts about whether there is any discernable difference at all in a woodturning application, I'm curious.

Hi Matthew,
i've been using a number of tools from this toolmaker, Doug Thompson, in the US. Compared to the regular HSS tools i've got they are definitely better in use and hold there edge much longer than the HSS tools.
The edge on the Thompson tools also does appear to be sharper/crisper than the HSS equivalents an sharpening has not been a problem at all. I have not as yet reground any of the profiles only touched them up.
He supplies them ground and ready to use using a wolverine set up although they are unhandled.
I now have 6 of them and find them a real pleasure to use. Im just about to order a couple of skews from him. You can find the range here; http://www.thompsonlathetools.com
He's a very nice guy and will answer any querie you may have.
regards, beejay

I use both the Crown ProPM tools and the hamlet ASP2030 tools and have had good results with both in terms of edge. I only use this type of steel for bowl gouges though I wouldnt use it for other chisels myself.

I have a couple of Crown PM tools. It is difficult to quantify, but I reckon that they last at least twice as long between grinding. On hard or difficult wood I reckon about 3 times longer.

As far as grinding goes, they are a bit harder, but they still grind fine with an ordinary white wheel on a pedestal grinder.

I like them, and in my opinion, they are well worth the reasonable extra cost.

Regards

Gary

I've got a couple of Hamlet ASP 2060 tools. My favorite a 3/8" spindle gouge. Can't really say I notice a great deal of difference with the standard HSS, mind you I am a 'sharpener'. I can't abide blunt tools and am always at the grinder when working, so I couldn't really say if they do last longer.

My personal opinion is that there are so many imponderables with different woods, different turners techniques, and so on it would all come down to whether you personally felt there was a difference. I think it would be hard to prove in a normal working environment.

Back