Simple oval bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad de Crom

Established Member
Reaction score
Made out of a rectangular piece of left over alder of the lamp project this simple oval bowl, as it is nice to playing around with my oval turning device from time to time. Had some problems with a hidden knot, which appeared with turning the outside shape, and got some nice catches while turning the inside. A small crack appeared too, just on the place of the knot, For sure not what I wanted, not bad enough for the fireplace, but this came up in my mind....)))
Anyway here the endresult.
Axis dimensions, 205mm x 170mm, height 65mm
Cheers, Ad
100_1464-simplyalderovalbowl-topvie.jpg

100_1463-simplyalderovalbowl.jpg

Ad

I can understand why you would have problems with this. You have soft spalted areas, sound areas and hard knots to deal with so don't feel that it was an easy piece to work with. You have done a good job with it.

Some times I find it is perhaps better to just throw such wood away. However, you actually learn a great deal from this sort of project as your tools have to be kept razor sharp and your tooling refines to really get a fine cut.

Well done and I look forward to seeing more.

mark sanger said:
Ad

I can understand why you would have problems with this. You have soft spalted areas, sound areas and hard knots to deal with so don't feel that it was an easy piece to work with.

Mark, you hit the nail right on his head, had already a lot of doubts if I should continue this turning after seeing all these bad spots, I was very close to the point to throw it into the trash can.

Hi Ad,

I couldn't see your pictures, but saw a few of your oval turnings on your website. Is there any chance that you coudl explain a little about the "oval turning device" please? I would have thought that an oval would need to be at least partly carved, rather than turned.

Thanks

Dod

Wanlock Dod":2kj4yp2x said:
Hi Ad,

I couldn't see your pictures, but saw a few of your oval turnings on your website. Is there any chance that you coudl explain a little about the "oval turning device" please? I would have thought that an oval would need to be at least partly carved, rather than turned.

Thanks

Dod
Hi Dod, the reason that you couldn't see the pictures, I just moved them into separate albums. But here they are.
100_1463-simplyalderovalbowl.jpg

100_1464-simplyalderovalbowl-topvie.jpg

As you can see this piece of alder has many bad spots, throw it almost into the trash can :(
Not any carving, but fully turned on an own build device, which you can see when you take a look to my website under the link devices.
This device is based on the principle of the device from David Springle, but adapted to my lathe. Have a design drawing to show you in detail the construction, if you have are interested.

AD

how annoying is that X Market thing on your web site

every time you click it off it comes back and covers the menu options

I gave up looking :twisted:

Blister":3t17zewv said:
AD

There is only in top and the bottom of the page a small advertize, never saw a X market thing that covers the menu options.
Ad

Ad de Crom":27wi19sg said:
Blister":27wi19sg said:
AD

There is only in top and the bottom of the page a small advertize, never saw a X market thing that covers the menu options.
Ad

When I view you web page I get this

http://mitglied.lycos.de/adecrom/

copy and past into your browser :wink:

I get an advert across the bottom of my browser that stays put but the one at the top disappears. Nothing else. What browser are you using Alan?

Pete

Just tried it in Firefox and got your box Alan, it's OK in IE which ahs a pop up blocker on it though

Bodrighy":24ibdgfv said:
I get an advert across the bottom of my browser that stays put but the one at the top disappears. Nothing else. What browser are you using Alan?

Pete

Just tried it in Firefox and got your box Alan, it's OK in IE which ahs a pop up blocker on it though

Pete

Yes I use Firefox :?

Strange that it lets adds corrupt peoples web sites without them knowing :?

Hi Ad

Very nice bowl, glad you persevered with it.

Allen/Pete, I'm using firefox with ad block plus and don't see adverts or boxes/crosses at all.

HTH

Steve :D

Nice work!

I've always been interested in the idea of turning ovals, but tbh can't make head nor tail of how to do make a device to do this.
Maybe i'm being dim, but i have to say the schematics don't help! Is there an easy way of explaining how this device is made and operates?

Oh and the site seems fine to me with IE.
A big framed advert below, another banner on top, but the content views fine.

Blister":15f7yd94 said:
Ad de Crom":15f7yd94 said:
Blister":15f7yd94 said:
AD

Ad

When I view you web page I get this

http://mitglied.lycos.de/adecrom/

copy and past into your browser :wink:
Alan, did that, but with the same result, only small advertisements at the top and the bottom, maybe you working with an older version of firefox or an older computer?? Can not find another reason, I'm working with a brandnew computer. After 5 years working with a computer I'm getting always software problems, than it's time for me to get a new computer.
Most of us are computer users, not experts.

Oakbear":1lcl0m11 said:
Nice work!

I've always been interested in the idea of turning ovals, but tbh can't make head nor tail of how to do make a device to do this.
Maybe i'm being dim, but i have to say the schematics don't help! Is there an easy way of explaining how this device is made and operates?

Hi Oakbear, if you are not used to read drawings, it's hard to understand what a drawing tells, but the working of this device is very simple, I saw last year a video of David Springle, explaining the working of his device, and I never saw such a simple working device.
In fact what you need is a rotating spindle, a (round) cam, which can be placed on a certain excentricity (in my case 17.5mm) and mounted on the spindle a slider moving on runners and two bearers on each side.
Mounted on the runners in the middle is the faceplate.
When the (round)cam is set on the excentricity of 17.5mm, with the rotating spindle the bearers are forced to follow the cam, in fact they slides around the cam, so not having a line contact. It's the same like a rotating propellor, but creating an oval.
Every handy man can easely build this device, as it is very simple.
If you have more interest, I have work drawings, and it will be a pleasure for me to send you these drawings, with an explanation what kind of material is used
Many thanks for your attention.
Ad

Ad de Crom":2i9alduf said:
Oakbear":2i9alduf said:
Nice work!

Hi Oakbear, if you are not used to read drawings, it's hard to understand what a drawing tells, but the working of this device is very simple, I saw last year a video of David Springle, explaining the working of his device, and I never saw such a simple working device.
In fact what you need is a rotating spindle, a (round) cam, which can be placed on a certain excentricity (in my case 17.5mm) and mounted on the spindle a slider moving on runners and two bearers on each side.
Mounted on the runners in the middle is the faceplate.
When the (round)cam is set on the excentricity of 17.5mm, with the rotating spindle the bearers are forced to follow the cam, in fact they slides around the cam, so not having a line contact. It's the same like a rotating propellor, but creating an oval.
Every handy man can easely build this device, as it is very simple.
If you have more interest, I have work drawings, and it will be a pleasure for me to send you these drawings, with an explanation what kind of material is used
Many thanks for your attention.
Ad

I too would be interested in more information (or rather explanation as to my shame I'm still a little confused).

Do you need lots of power to run this or can pretty much any lathe do it?

Many thanks

Miles

Latest posts

Back