Simple bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought that I would post photos of a bowl that I have made. Its made from a piece of imbuya with a pewter inlay. The design is not mine, its copied from a viking wassail bowl!

001.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 897
Wow....amazing. And not what I would call simple either. More pictures please from different angles with additional light. Very nice. Presumably you glued the little handles on after you'd turned it?

Its made from a single piece, the handles are not glued on.

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 877
I started off by making sure the blank was exactly square. I then mounted it on the lathe using a screw chuck, and turned the underside first up to the underside of the handles. Then, I turned it around, and turned the upper side to the handles making sure of course that it was centered correctly. At this stage, the recess for the inlay was made.

The one thing that I made certain of was that the diameter on the top and bottom of the handles was exactly the same. I then made a template, marked out the shape of the handles on the underside, then cut it on a fretsaw. After that it was simply a matter of careful sanding both on and off the lathe, and finishing.

Theres a long story behind the blank, almost worthy of a cheap novel! :D

I'm not sure if this should be posted on here, but, oh, well... :D

Back in the days before I retired, I used to attend an annual dinner dance/prize giving thing that was attended by people from all over the world. What used to happen to both ease things and promote friendship, when the men entered, they would pick a ladies name out of a hat. That lady would be the table partner up to and including the first dance.

This particular year, the name I got was that of a brazilian woman. I had noticed her there in previous years, for the simple reason she always seemed to get some sort of award. But she always left the event before the first dance. During the meal, we talked, and got along so well that she even stayed for the dancing part of the evening, but did not, I might add, dance with anyone else. Dont get the wrong impression here!

One of her male colleagues came up to me when she was in the bathroom, and asked me how I got her to stay. He also told me that she was a victim of domestic violence, her former husband having almost taken her life by slashing her stomach when she was expecting their second child. He didnt want it, apparently! Since then, she would not allow a man to come near her, which was understandable!

A few weeks later, a parcel arrived for me at work marked "machine parts." It was the piece of imbuya that the bowl was made from. She knew I did a bit of woodwork, and dont like spices, so sent it to me to say thankyou. As many know, this wood has a spicy scent, so it was a kind of joke.

We've kept in touch since then, and I even got an invite to her fathers 100th birthday party two years ago, which I accepted. The highlight of that trip for me was not only meeting her and her two children, but by being able to perform 3 numbers on stage with them to entertain her father. That party, those three songs (Besame Mucho, Perfidia, and Wonderful Land) will stay in my memory for ever!

Great story, glad you where able to restore her faith in men.
Just shows what others have to live with.

mate........that's lovely. Jesus I bet your heart was in your mouth when you were turning the bowl! One false move and.......

I think pieces with a nice provenance like that are all the richer for it. Thanks for being prepared to talk about it and, if appropriate, give my best to the Brazilian lady next time you correspond with her.

Back