silver solder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjcann

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to fix some 6mm nuts to thin wall stainless box section, as the wall is not thick enough to tap, my question is can I silver solder them, my usual approach with such things, is try it and see what happens, but I have only got one bit of ss. Ive got a porta pak and pink flux rods.
Martin

marcros":3froq070 said:
Would rivnuts be an alternative?

+1 for rivnuts as long as you have means of clinching them if it's thin stock, if you have not experienced welding/brazing/soldering stainless and can't afford to risk wasting stock while you trial things.

Hi

Yes you can silver solder steel to stainless steel. For optimum results you need specific rods and flux - see below for details:

http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/home/

In the application you specify, (I'm assuming strength and integrity are not paramount), I'd have a go with what you have - clean everything well and get it up to heat as quickly as possible.

With regard to rivnuts - OK, but not if the thread is going to be in more than occaisional use.

Regards Mick

When you say occasional use mick, do you mean continual or regularly done and undone? Do they not lock like a rivet and job done?

Hi Marcros

Rivnuts lock in a similar way to pop rivets and are fine if the joint is to remain undisturbed.

http://www.aimfasteners.com/about_rivnu ... m0b1l1FBkQ

Repeatedly undoing and doing up can result in the rivnut losing its grip on the surrounding structure and spinning rendering disassembly a challenge.
They also fail if the thread binds due to corrosion, again spinning instead of un doing.

If there is another way of achieving the aim, I avoid rivnuts for these reasons.

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick
I gave it a go with silver solder, success!!!, I gave nuts a bit of a test with a hammer, all sound.
martin

Back