Silicon on plastered wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting my upstands in my utility room, and have a plastered concrete wall around the back.

I do the bead, spray some soapy water on, then use one of those plastic scrapers to create the seal.

When doing the corner where the laminate joins, it's easy, the rubber scraper works great, however where it meets the wall, it simply smears onto the plaster.

Any ideas for preventing this, and for removing it once you get this mess?

I was thinking of some blue tape on the wall, however as the wall is a bit textured, i think it will spread behind it anyway.

20161008_150226.jpg

Attachments

• 20161008_150226.jpg
    20161008_150226.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 160
Silicone followed up by a wetted finger would be my advise. Try not to apply too much silicone in the first place. Not saying I always succeed in doing a neat job though.

I tried in the "old days" to use a finger, however it always got sticky after a few inches...

This is a poor video, but the first one I found, shows what I am doing now. Seems it won't work well against plastered wall though!

https://youtu.be/wQxtQhpA5Vo?t=16s

I would use a tiny bead of sealant the same colour as the wall. Soapy water causes adhesion problems - Fugi tools are supposed to be used dry to prevent this
Watch the Fugen star youtube
Matt

wcndave":3j0yon8e said:
I tried in the "old days" to use a finger, however it always got sticky after a few inches...

This is a poor video, but the first one I found, shows what I am doing now. Seems it won't work well against plastered wall though!

https://youtu.be/wQxtQhpA5Vo?t=16s

That looks great but as you point out only suitable for a smooth surfaces. Good luck either way.

A finger with a drop or two of fairy liquid works for me. Prevents the silicon from sticking so your finger just slides along.

Just tried that, made more mess than before. I'm probably just not very good at this.

Blue tape worked much better, any ideas for removing from wall?

My unpopular advice would be remove all previous mastic, scrape wall with small chisel or similar to establish a 5-10 smooth strip of wall all along the upstand - if there's any largish gaps between back of upstand and wall fill them and then repaint scraped area of wall to correct colour. Now reseal with a white/coloured silicone with the smallest sized bead that will do the job.

If you must use a finger to shape the silicone use a dry finger! As soon as silicone gets damp it starts to skin over, thus if you need to slightly adjust a bit you have just smoothed over with a wet finger you will drag a load of silicone skin around a make a right mess.

Wet finger, worst bit of diy advice ever :lol:

Sometimes it's just too hard or effort to get a perfect bead so I have found if the silicone is spread thinly against a non absorbant surface you let it go off before doing anything like trying to clean up the bead. Personally I cut at the base and establish a break line then rub off the rest with a gloved finger or a lump of silicone. I salvage old silicone that has gone off in the tube - I just slice down the side and peel it out and use it for this or cleaning sanders.

Too much silicone, use just a thin bead, I've never had a problem whether smooth surface or against an artexed wall. It's all down to practice, like most things unfortunately.

Thanks guys, I think...

I don't feel I have too much silicon on there, I am trying to cover a bit of a gap, however using the "standard" corner of the plastic tool, i get really very little excess scraped off. One problem is getting a consistent bead, particularly where you have to release the trigger and start pulling again.

It does seem like putting some tape on the wall is the best idea.

You're right that the idea of stripping down a bit of the wall, re-plastering and painting, before trying again, is not that popular, however it seems like it may be my only choice!

If after a few years it starts to go a yucky colour, try a bottle of this
9c1eb68764b2e30b32982ca9c9e806e6.jpg

Before you consider re-siliconing or regrouting. The bottle description sounds like a gimmick, but it really works and bleaches the heck out of discoloured grout/silicone before its gone really too far beyond repair. It's about 6-7 quid from eBay but a little goes a long way. I've got a mate who's got borderline ocd and he was seriously considering retiling his bathroom. I loaned him this to try, suffice to say, he's not retiling his bathroom anymore. Only downside is it pongs of bleach for a couple days.

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Skimming the whole wall is a touch extreme, I would just try to establish a smoother area where the bead of silicone will touch - just knocking off the grain/high spots.
Beware rubbish silicone guns - if your having to squeeze the granny out of the trigger to get the mastic out the tube you can't concentrate on getting a good application.
As you are about to let go of the trigger to re-pull it slow right down and watch the size of the bead, as you gently pull the trigger again you can judge you speed versus the silicone coming out of the nozzle.

HTH

ColeyS1":4gwr93jg said:
If after a few years it starts to go a yucky colour, try a bottle of this
Before you consider re-siliconing or regrouting. The bottle description sounds like a gimmick, but it really works and bleaches the heck out of discoloured grout/silicone before its gone really too far beyond repair. It's about 6-7 quid from eBay but a little goes a long way. I've got a mate who's got borderline ocd and he was seriously considering retiling his bathroom. I loaned him this to try, suffice to say, he's not retiling his bathroom anymore. Only downside is it pongs of bleach for a couple days.
Thanks, I have some ant-mould stuff like this, however I am more concerned with removing the unwanted 2 day old silicon at the moment.

No skills":4gwr93jg said:
Skimming the whole wall is a touch extreme, I would just try to establish a smoother area where the bead of silicone will touch - just knocking off the grain/high spots.

Yes, I meant just a strip ;-) However trying to replaster and blend even just a strip is a bit of a chore.

I always use Baby wipes stretched over a finger when I apply silicone, It just wipes straight off with them.
Fantastic for removing excess from surfaces and cleaning your hands too.

Gerry

Gerry":38d276zk said:
I always use Baby wipes stretched over a finger when I apply silicone, It just wipes straight off with them.
Fantastic for removing excess from surfaces and cleaning your hands too.

Gerry
Is that before or after you'vee used them on the baby? :lol:

baby wipes are worth having around the workshop and another use is cleaning the dash and plastic surfaces inside the car.

Latest posts

Back