Sideboard. now finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
Here it is, i finally found the time to hang the doors and take some pictures.
You can even see the original sideboard on which this copy is based, on the left of the last picture..
DSC_5901.jpg

DSC_5902.jpg

DSC_5903.jpg

DSC_5904.jpg

Oh yes, now this is my type of work. Nice piece Steph What wood did you use and what finish is applied. Well done mate. :wink:

Nice piece of work, same question as Dom....how will the shelf be supported? Anything weighty, or even just the weight of the timber itself will eventually make it go banana shaped - Rob

Very nice. I like the simple lines that'll stop it from dating and ensure that it looks as though it was always meant to be there. I endorse previous comments about ensuring that the shelf is supported - particularly as your family continue to chuck stuff inside to get it out of sight - it'll fill up faster than you can imagine! :)

oh yes, i didnt mention.. i moved back to France a couple of weeks ago.
found a new job in Normandy, near Caen.
I brought the familly over, and we are now renting a missive house in a tiny village, 20mins south of caen. 5 bedrooms, 2000sqr meter of lawn.. i need more furniture !
And to answer the question, the shelf is supported at both ends only. not the strongest, but since the original was that way, and is still going strong, i took the same approach.
wood is pine, no finish...

I know, i was a little surprised too..
it the shelf starts sagging, i'll make a support in the middle.
but as i said, the original is almost antique (or so it looks !) and the shelf is suprisingly straight...
i could also strenghten it by fixing a batten on it's underside..

Looks great Stef.

I would be tempted to put a vertical batten behind the existing central post, and another directly behingd that on the inside of the back of the cabinet, and then a horizontal batten resting on top of those two and supporting the underside of the shelf.

Just a thought, but looks a nice job anyway.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Stef,
nice job.
I'd be surprised if that shelf did not sag under it's weight in time. The supports as decribed by Paul would be almost invisible and are a must IMO.

Andy

dedee":30c6rgxc said:
Stef,
nice job.
I'd be surprised if that shelf did not sag under it's weight in time. The supports as decribed by Paul would be almost invisible and are a must IMO.

Andy
I agree.
i'll probably do it when i'll have a minute. and i'll check how, by miracle, the original did no sag !

Latest posts

Back