Side rebate planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidadew

Established Member
Reaction score
I think these belong in the category of buy once and use never - at least that has been my experience! If ever a housing was tight it is just so much easier to take a shaving from the shelf or whatever.

I'd second the above: more often considered than finally used, indeed.

I think Derek Cohen wrote quite a good review about those little beasts.

On my behalf, it needs to be precisely made to work logically, you really need a proper adjustable jig to sharpen the blades according to required angle, and they are unlike any other plane in general.

Samu

Chris Knight":gkva6dr1 said:
I think these belong in the category of buy once and use never - at least that has been my experience! If ever a housing was tight it is just so much easier to take a shaving from the shelf or whatever.

They're helpful if the panel or shelf cannot be planed,e.g. if it's fully polished, or made of glass...

BugBear

Hi,

They are handy and give you more options, I don't use mine (record 2506 and stanley 98 99) much but when they are needed they are very usefull tools.
Lets face it we could get away with lots less tools but then we would strugle and thats not what lifes about.

Pete

I use mine.
It comes in the same catagory as the Fein Multimaster or the compass plane, costs a lot for the amount of use it gets on the initial look, but by golly, does it save you loads of time when you do need it!

Davidadew":2c4w13dk said:
I've been offered above 2nd hand by stanley and am interested but wondering how they compare to the new veritas and lie nelisen ones? I'm not a great fan of veritas tools, does any one have a preference as I don't mind the lie nelisen one if it is good or the record?

I'm looking for it to clean the sides of rebates, halving joints etc.

Lie nelisen one http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44

Veritas one http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

I would favour a Nielsen block-rebate plane for these jobs. Anything too small for that, use a good shoulder plane.

Just my preference.

John :)

Benchwayze":1zt4jy5y said:
Davidadew":1zt4jy5y said:
I've been offered above 2nd hand by stanley and am interested but wondering how they compare to the new veritas and lie nelisen ones? I'm not a great fan of veritas tools, does any one have a preference as I don't mind the lie nelisen one if it is good or the record?

I'm looking for it to clean the sides of rebates, halving joints etc.

Lie nelisen one http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44

Veritas one http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

I would favour a Nielsen block-rebate plane for these jobs. Anything too small for that, use a good shoulder plane.

Just my preference.

How do you fit one of those into a narrow rebate?

I don't make small rebates! I leave that to the taxman. :wink:

If there isn't head room for a shoulder plane, then I try to get it right first time... But I was thinking more along the lines of shaving down tenons and half laps.

Ahhhh! I see what you mean Tommo... You mean a housing for a shelf?

That's where I would have to use a hand router, or an appropriate chisel
By a rebate I mean a rebate along the edge of a panel or a frame member.
My apologiues. I wasn't with you for a minute... :oops:
:?

Regards

I have had both an early Stanley #98, a Record 2506 and an old Edward Preston. The Stanley was pretty decent, Record very close to useless (too thick frame) and the Preston is still in use. Not very often, but as I happen to hand plane all my moldings, it is very useful with those. From the mentioned planes Preston was clearly the best.

I would not buy either of the suggested planes before it would be evident that you can't live without. If you do lots of work with dadoes, sliding dovetails, moldings etc, those planes will definitely save your day, but you can live your life happily without one.

My preference would be the two-handed type that Veritas represents. Having two different planes for left and right hand is awkward. But I am not completely comfortable with the looks of Veritals planes either :wink:

If you are interested in old tools, there was a thread comparing all the old ones: how deep groove each is able to plane, is the front piece removable etc. I could not find the thread, maybe someone remembers better search terms than me.

Pekka

Back