side rabbet plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might want to clarify exactly what sort of plane you mean. In my mind at least, "side rabbet" clashes with "moulding plane", so I am not 100% sure which plane your speaking of. OTOH, I am easily confused.

Bob,

do you mean one of those?

wangenhobel.jpg

Wolfgang

whybob71":a7fqwlrj said:
I'm sorry....... :oops:

Nothing to be sorry for, terminology is all over the place. You just run them along the wall of a rebate, doing your best to keep them upright (or at least at the angle you want) to widen the rebate. Normally this would be a slight-adjustment or clean-up type of job; you don't want to be planing away 1/4" this way IMO. Can also be used to clean up the socket on larger sliding dovetails. Normally there is a left hand and right hand version so that you can work on either side of the rabbet and still go with the grain.

Paul Kierstead":2bfuteyl said:
whybob71":2bfuteyl said:

Nothing to be sorry for, terminology is all over the place. You just run them along the wall of a rebate, doing your best to keep them upright (or at least at the angle you want) to widen the rebate. Normally this would be a slight-adjustment or clean-up type of job; you don't want to be planing away 1/4" this way IMO. Can also be used to clean up the socket on larger sliding dovetails. Normally there is a left hand and right hand version so that you can work on either side of the rabbet and still go with the grain.

I see...many thanks, it is now clear for me! :D

Paul Kierstead":2y66kmmf said:
whybob71":2y66kmmf said:

IIRC tuning and adjusting the type whybob17 shows is quite tricky, which is why the other designs were made.

Metal is much better suited to low bedding angles than wood, so...

http://www.antiquetools.com/perm-col/we ... index.html

BugBear

Latest posts

Back