Shuttering Ply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
What is it? I've seen it mentioned here before and the book I'm reading by Iain Oughtred mentions its use for moulds for boat building. Is it just plywood? Is shuttering ply a specific thickness?

Please to enlighten me. ;)

It's the rubbish ply we use for shuttering concrete . Used to make formers for footings upwards .
Not good for boats !!!!!!!!
I dont think he means it as in moulds and frames ?

OK, I see. Thanks.

Oh and yes, he means it for moulds but not frames. The moulds stay on the building form. Most of his designs, being glued lapstrake ply don't even get frames.

Shuttering ply is used for making shutters used as formwork for concrete pours and comes in different grades see link below:-
http://www.peri.ltd.uk/uk/ww/pub/products.cfm/fuseaction/showcategory/productcategory_ID/25.cfm

Some types are resin coated and the shutters can be used several times. The surface is coated with a release agent to assist removal ("striking"). It can also be textured to leave a pattern on the concrete face. So the term "shuttering ply" is rather generic.

Rod

Its still cheap rubbish that you throw away when done with .

You will sometimes see it on the front of shops instead of glass, mostly after the pubs have closed.

or when they have no OSB to hand.

Marky

Thanks for the responses. Now I have an idea of what Mr Oughtred is talking about. Over here plywood of any sort has gotten to be quite expensive so perhaps I'll use MDF for the moulds.

Cheers,

Dave

Latest posts

Back