shuttering ply shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongodrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So we have recently acquired a load of shuttering ply off cuts - all 12mm some 240 x 2440 and some 690 x 850mm.
We need a place to store the farm quad and other bits and bobs. I'm thinking something roughly 5 x 5meters.
A quick search for all ply made sheds isn't turning much up. I have made a number of sheds in the past (some bought flimsy junk, and some sturdy nice ones made from reclaimed timber), but have very little experience using ply.
It's not WBP ply as fas as I know - is it even possible to weather proof it? Im presuming the edges are its weakness.
Any and all advice, comments, links to examples very welcome.

Hay thanks barkwindjammer I haven't chuckled to myself in front of the puter like that in ages... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So any input, especially to do with using ply, ply laminates or boxes or whatnot as structural members??
And weatherproofing ply...

barkwindjammer":3adaxqxc said:

That's obviously not a structure but an incredible piece of art :lol: Did you notice that the thread is 75 pages long ! Only in America

Bongo. Shuttering ply unless completely covered or well painted and sealed wont last 5 minutes outside.

Hay kostello 'plywood Box beams' was the search to go for thanks! I now feel fairly confident making some structural members from small section timber and lots of ply. (This is a useful doc http://timber.ce.wsu.edu/Resources/papers/3-1-3.pdf)

I agree with you Grayorm, in terms of its weather vulnerability - the question is what coatings might be effective, especially for sealing the edges?
Opinions about whether it is worth it? The ply is free, but if I have to spend a fortune on coatings, and re-applying every couple of years :?:
What do you guys think.

How about giving the whole thing a coat of fibreglass roofing resin?

My understanding is that one coat and its water proof.........

Or some nice tarpaulins for the more redneck look......

Or even tack some roofing felt on with some battens......

You can get a felt that's called torch down. You apply a primer lay the felt on top and heat with a large blow lamp ensuring the felt overlaps in the correct direction so the water runs off.

John

Hay guys, good suggestions. Keep em coming.
kostello - The fibreglass resin seems a touch expensive and the few I looked at weren't recommended for ply, they wanted to be on OSB for adhesion...
A tarp is a bit too temporary and would look a bit... well redneck :?
roofing felt could work for the roof... but what about the sides?

John, nice suggestion. But lack a big torch to melt the stuff down... Still might be worth considering though... Again, what about the sides?

Would painting with epoxy be any good?

The roof (with a decent over-hang) will be the main consideration, either felted and battoned-or painted with Flex-Acryl (not very cheap but bombproof)-the sideswalls can be coated with Thomsons waterseal (quite cheap-and can be sprayed on or rollered/brushed) one application will last a couple of years-a dye or paint finish can be applied over this once dry

kostello":17kammgk said:
how about this for inexpensive and unusual...................

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beer+ ... 80&bih=709

you could just nail them on as you finish the cans........................

:)

:lol: Love the idea -looks awesome. But holy cow, the work :shock: I don't drink that much beer :?

@barkwindjammer - Nice straightforward suggestions. The Flex-Acryl might be something to use on just the edges of all the boards, might only need one tin that way. Agreed about the roof being the main thing. Have you any experience with felt shingles? Any better than the roll stuff? I don't really like the look of the roll on felt and in my experience it is quite prone to leaks and wind damage (though battening it helps a lot) - That's probably just my prejudice from putting up flimsy cheep store bought junk for people.

Any recommendations for creating sides that don't leak ? I am wondering what might be the best arrangement given the sizes I have to work with (all 240 x 2440 and 690 x 850mm). I'm thinking maybe using the long ones, starting at the bottom laying the long bits horizontally and overlapping in a classic style? What about where they meet at corners/edges? Do I just butt them up against each other, in which case I might have a small gap that will hold/capillary water, right on the board edges...

Thanks for your suggestions thus far. =D>

Flex acryl on board edges-yep
lay sheets onto the side walls horizontaly-starting from bottom-overlay the boards over the lower ones (ship lap style)
The felt I use is £48 per roll-thats the difference between stuff that will last and stuff that wont !-its all battoned down and the batons flex acryled
My neighbour has shingles on his-has lasted 3 winters unscathed-I dont think the wind can exert enough force on its small surface area-unlike 'un-battoned' felt-which will turn into a sail if the wind gets a bite on it

Back