Shoulder plane set up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm about to retune my shoulder plane (Clifton 3110) and I wanted to know how much the blade should project either side of the mouth. It seems to be too much at the moment to allow the blade edge to be parallel with the mouth and to have the side of the plane flush with a tenon shoulder, for example.
Thanks, Edmund

Ed
You need the blade to project ever so slightly beyond the side of the plane you are using against the shoulder. Otherwise you can't cut a square shoulder.
I place mine flat on the bench on its side and tap the blade so it is catching on the the bench. Then tighten the tensioning knob. That normally is enough projection.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I don't have one of these but its on my 'slope list'. I understand that the projection should be zero each side of the mouth and the blade obviously ground dead square so it needs careful fettling in to make it work just right - Rob

Like Phil mentioned, the blade projection should be a little proud on each side. I typically split the difference. If it is flush to the side, you will cut small steps and eventually will create a sloping cut.

If the blade is too wide, though, it affects the squareness of the blade to the reference side [the side down on a tenon, say] and that's not good either. If you need to grind or hone some off, just make sure the blade is still a touch wider than the body of the plane.

Take care, Mike

Thanks. The blade currently protrudes about 1/16" on one side when flush with the other side of the plane. I wonder if this is just the standard generous set up Clifton use?

I'm now inclined to agree with others on this one, just the tiniest fraction wider than the sole of the plane. 1/16" seems way too large to me...in metric maybe 0.1 or 0.2 of a mm might be acceptable each side. I think its a case of trial and error in the fettling of the blade, but just go very easy when reducing the width. It may well be worth getting hold of a vernier caliper (if you haven't got one already) to check progress as the blade width is reduced - Rob

I agree with Philly, however I place a business card between the plane body and the bench top just behind the blade so that it protrudes the thickness of the card.

I do it the same way as Philly as well. If I switch sides, a quick loosen the blade, like the plane flat, re-tighten and you are ready. I don't worry about the absolute width of the blade, since I never use both sides of the blade at once. If I was to try plowing a groove with it, I guess it would matter.

Paul Kierstead":22bea7ty said:
If I was to try plowing a groove with it, I guess it would matter.
Funnily enough I don't think it would then either, as long as it was as wide or wider than the body :-k

Sorry, not really relevant. It's another of those subjects that seems to get into impossibly small measurements immediately and that's just way over my head. Either the plane works or it doesn't and I fiddle with it until it does. I'm starting to worry that I don't worry enough...

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1426j8lz said:
Paul Kierstead":1426j8lz said:
If I was to try plowing a groove with it, I guess it would matter.
Funnily enough I don't think it would then either, as long as it was as wide or wider than the body :-k

Well I *think* that the plane would wobble around a bit in the groove if the blade was quite a bit wider then the body; you sort of lose your reference surface of the side of the plane. Tis all theoritical though; I have only ever done that once, and it was a very shallow groove (about 1/16").

Either the plane works or it doesn't and I fiddle with it until it does. I'm starting to worry that I don't worry enough...

Aye. People worry waaaay too much. It has been one of my harder learned lessons that I thought about it far too much, when doing is so much more enlightening.

Don't worry, be happy.

Paul (C) you really don't want me to start worrying about you worrying as well, do you? 8-[ ] :lol:

Paul Kierstead":a46jm5br said:
Well I *think* that the plane would wobble around a bit in the groove if the blade was quite a bit wider then the body; you sort of lose your reference surface of the side of the plane. Tis all theoritical though; I have only ever done that once, and it was a very shallow groove (about 1/16").
Yeah, you're right - it'd need a bit of finesse. :D I was thinking of plough and combi planes I suppose, and they're fenced of course. #-o

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back