Should you silicone lino?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a new lino being installed in a bathroom and I'm wondering if the edges of the lino and around the toilet need to be silicone?

I ask as by chance I saw a video on YouTube from B&Q where they apply silicone around the edges and around the toilet.

When I spoke with the lino installer he won't be doing this but would apply glue under the lino.

Should I apply silicone myself or is there no need?

Personally I have always siliconed around toilet and wash basin joins with flooring such as lino. Apart from stopping any water leakage under the flooring I feel it also makes the job look better if it is done neatly.

another vote for yes - it looks a lot better to the eye as long as it’s done neatly, it also helps prevent your Lino lifting around the edges of the toilet/ basin / bath etc . The same goes with any skirting boards or tile to Lino joints . The key is to do it as neatly as you can so if not confident then get the masking tape out but remove it as soon as possible after completing your joint otherwise the silicone will adhere to the tape and will come away with the tape .. there are also a multitude of profile tools available for use with silicone etc but I’ve never used them . I’ve always used the wet finger method and if I want to guarantee a neat job then masking tape as above .

yes.
go into a hospital and all the floors are sealed but with something better than silicone but looks the same.......
I wish I could get it to look good when I do it tho.......hahaha......

Back