Should I build my own....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozzer

Reaction score
I have been lurking and enjoying some of the workshop build threads on here - but now it is time to post.

I am in need of a new shed, initially for storing household items whilst we are renovating and then for a workshop/studio in the future when the renovations are complete. I am considering building my own primarily motivated by cost and also because the offerings I've seen have left a lot to be desired from a build quality perspective.

Design wise, I am thinking about an 8ft x 12ft Pent with double doors. I haven't thought too hard at this stage. Initially I don't want to insulate and board it (but that is a future goal). I know that a Pent design limits storage - but, it will be sited close to a boundary and I don't want to exceed height limits (even though my neighbour shows a flagrant disregard for such things).

I haven't decided if it will be on a concrete base or raised, but, things I am thinking:

Base Timbers: ?
Floor: OSB 2
Frames: 3 x 2
Cladding: Ship Lap
Roof Timbers: ?
Roof Boards: 18mm OSB 3 (felted)

I have most of the tools I need (aside from an Air Nailer - but I am going to gift myself one). I would describe my woodworking skills as rudimentary - but I have tackled quite a few tasks and I tend to research before doing anything!

Cost wise, a shed this size with 50mm x 25mm framing would be in the region of £1000 from a local supplier and the ones I have seen have not been great. Ideally I would like to construct something that will last and have the future potential for other uses (as noted above).

Does this sound worthwhile? Are the materials likely to be close to the cost of a finished article (I have to convince SWMBO).......

Thank you for any advice

Around here a 12 by 8 with 50 by 38 framing, 12mm plywood floor, 11mm osb roof and mineral felt roof can be delivered and set up in your yard for about £600.

A mediocre nailer is going to cost close to half of that.

Ty Artie.

That sounds very cheap compared to here. £960 is the best I have found locally and they don't look so great.

If I could find pricing like that locally I probably wouldn't bother having a go (unless it was dire quality).

I also have a lot of fencing to do....

I'm building my own as a project. Huge beast hut we looked at cheap sheds better shed and expensive sheds . Nothing hit the mark. Got the loglap from a company in York. Where in the country are you btw

Hi Titch,

Same here, it's either low quality - thrown together, or really steep prices (much higher). I am on the outskirts of Swansea.

Are there any links to less elaborate builds on this forum? Whilst I admire and am in awe of the builds I have seen on here - my skill and budget won't go as far as most of them. That said, I do want a sturdy shed with some longevity and future possibility.

artie":314lm7pn said:
Around here a 12 by 8 with 50 by 38 framing, 12mm plywood floor, 11mm osb roof and mineral felt roof can be delivered and set up in your yard for about £600.

A mediocre nailer is going to cost close to half of that.
What sort of air nailers are you looking at? Air is the cheap way to go, paslode gas guns and dewalt battery guns are expensive but air is cheap, so long as you already have a compressor.

lincs1963":3rj3gbnu said:
What sort of air nailers are you looking at? .

Almost 15 yrs ago I paid a little over £500 for a bea nailer and small compressor.

I considered the bea one of the best available.

Today, and I am just guessing, I suspect a mediocre nailgun and cheapy compressor could be had for about £300.

A real cheapie nailgun and compressor probably £200 or less.

I had the same predicament, in dire need of a space for my tools, I did think about building (which would have been much more rewarding), I just don't really have the time (or the skill) to take on something like that.

Here on the south coast I have just ordered a 10 x 8 pent (due in may) that are very good quality, delivered and erected for just under £900. It's certainly steep but I did quite a bit of shopping around and having them put it up as part of the price make it quite a good deal.

I have also ordered 11mm OSB to clad the walls and I will be insulating inside.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to visit 2 more suppliers today to check the quality/price of their sheds. If they are as far off the mark as the orhers I have seen I will be going down the self build route. Of course, if I can find something of reasonable quality/price then I will shelve my plans.

Back