Short explanation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owl

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just realised that I have been extremely rude by just posting in the forum under the name of Owl. I originally joined the forum using the name of Brian½ but had to re-register using the Owl name.
I had tried umpteen times to log in using the original name but each attempt ended with this message:

You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below.

Even though I followed the instructions I always ended up back where I started from, I was unable to contact any of the mods about the problem simply because I couldn't log in, so eventually I gave up trying and reverted to re-registering under my present name.

I apologise for the apparent lack of not introducing myself as a relative newcomer. My original introduction could of course still be found under the name of Brian½.

I expect the "1/2" caused the problem

I've no problem with you being called owl but putting your location as "planet earth" is just plain ridiculous as no one can decide if they are local enough to help you with anything!!

Myfordman,
I can't see any problem with stating I am from planet earth but if it offends you (as it seems to do) I can easily change it.
As for the ½ added behind my name I had no trouble signing in with it on numerous occasions prior to the problem I experienced and have explained.
If you care to read my introduction under the original name you will find that I am NOT a woodworker.
It just so happens that I have always admired the skills of people who chose different trades to follow. For instance: I admire the workmanship of glassblowers, bricklayers, plasterers etc etc, and woodworking is one of them, hence my presence here.

As to what you deem to be 'ridiculous' then take a look at some of the posts where someone is seeking advice only to see replies which have nothing in common with the original query.

it's not ridiculous not to give some idea of your whereabouts, but it makes many replies pointless if people have haven't an approximation of where you are posting from, that's all. I live in the rrsend of Cornwall, for example. That's a useful bit of info for someone who's posting to tell me there's a bargain in Inverness, or that there's an interesting exhibition in Norfolk.

Owl, perhaps you might care to tone down the aggressive nature of your reply to a fairly reasonable statement. As everyone here is from planet earth, it is somewhat redundant information. And as to you not being a woodworker, that's fine, but do you really think everyone is going to read your introduction several messages/posts/etc down the line?

This forum is, by and large, a well tempered and polite place, so please enjoy it.

Cheers,
Adam

Evening all
It may seem that the written word, without its spoken intonation may have been taken slightly out of context. Brian's (or Owl's) previous posts have always been more than polite, including the fact that this thread begins with an apology.
So before any one takes too much offence deep breaths everyone.
Brian/ Owl I will pm you shortly re the two accounts.

Don't see a huge amount wrong with putting Planet Earth.
I'm happy to say that it didn't upset me in the slightest. Then again why should it.

MIGNAL":3v2zt1bb said:
Don't see a huge amount wrong with putting Planet Earth.
I'm happy to say that it didn't upset me in the slightest. Then again why should it.

Some replies I read on here make me wonder what planet the posters really are from, so Planet Earth seems more than reasonable to me.

Kalimna":m49mav8g said:
Owl, perhaps you might care to tone down the aggressive nature of your reply to a fairly reasonable statement. As everyone here is from planet earth, it is somewhat redundant information. And as to you not being a woodworker, that's fine, but do you really think everyone is going to read your introduction several messages/posts/etc down the line?

This forum is, by and large, a well tempered and polite place, so please enjoy it.

Cheers,
Adam
i am not fron plannet earth i live near redruth

I apologise if I offend anyone with my replies that is never my intention, without being able to see a persons facial expressions the written word can at times appear different to the writers intentions .... maybe we should all be connected by webcam :roll:

Owl":fm4k6lsl said:
I apologise if I offend anyone with my replies that is never my intention, without being able to see a persons facial expressions the written word can at times appear different to the writers intentions .... maybe we should all be connected by webcam :roll:

you trying to give us all night mares now.. :lol:

Seems you already have a nightmare Steve regarding filling in your tax return #-o

Thanks Adam, it always makes me smile --- Mark Twain must have been a very wise man, he was spot on with his remark. :D

Latest posts

Back