Shop electricity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillamb168

Established Member
Reaction score
My SIL's husband is an electrical engineer who moonlights as a sparky redoing homes and such. We are going to be laying new cable out to the workshop to support the cabinet saw, dust extractor, lights, coffee machine, etc. He's told me that I need a "disjoncteur différentiel Type A, 30 amp" which in a real language means a Type A ELCB rated to 30 amps. The question I have is, is that the real name for it? In the states we call them GFCIs, ground fault circuit interrupteurs. I am unsure if the 'type A' is a French invention or not? In any case I will be ordering from the UK as most French retailers are charging upwards of 200 euros for a 30 amp version. I've seen them in Germany and UK for around 30-50£ but want to make sure I'm getting the right thing for the job. This might also be called a mains breaker, it will be branching off the supply coming in from the street.

There are people on this forum who know what they are talking about when it comes to wiring up a workshop but you may be better off on a forum with professional electricians. I used this forum when I wired up my workshop and got some very good advise. There will no doubt be someone on there who is also au fait with French electrics.
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum ... 40165.html

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're after - it's not exactly the same - suggests it's 40amps, but it's only 85 euros...

http://www.bricodepot.fr/macon/search/n ... otCategory

Have you checked your local brico sheds (there are three Brico Depots around Paris), most of them have a massive range of electrical stuff for the diy-er.

phillamb168":30xapzpd said:
My SIL's husband is an electrical engineer who moonlights as a sparky redoing homes and such. We are going to be laying new cable out to the workshop to support the cabinet saw, dust extractor, lights, coffee machine, etc. He's told me that I need a "disjoncteur différentiel Type A, 30 amp" which in a real language means a Type A ELCB rated to 30 amps. The question I have is, is that the real name for it? In the states we call them GFCIs, ground fault circuit interrupteurs. I am unsure if the 'type A' is a French invention or not? In any case I will be ordering from the UK as most French retailers are charging upwards of 200 euros for a 30 amp version. I've seen them in Germany and UK for around 30-50£ but want to make sure I'm getting the right thing for the job. This might also be called a mains breaker, it will be branching off the supply coming in from the street.

If your SIL's husband can point you to an example he recommends on-line, you should be able to get good enough description/specs to find it elsewhere.

BugBear

I would imagine the "Type A" refers to the trip curve. In the UK we have A,B,C & D curves. A is the most sensitive, D the least. Most household electrics have C curve but occasionally there's a requirement to fit B curve.

An ELCB is an earth leakage current breaker - in addition to detecting over-current, it also measures when voltages are leaking to the conductive enclosures of devices. Old-hat technology, UK installations now use residual current devices (RCD's, or when combined with an over-current circuit breaker RCBOs) which measure leakage current (difference between live and neutral) directly and trip out typically on 30mA leakage. Some RCDs are still branded ELCBs, so it may in fact be the newer type of device that is being offered. If the A is reffering to trip curve type, then I would suggest you plump for at least a B curve (UK standard). On individual 16A fused spur circuits for induction motored machinery, go for a C curve to avoid spurious tripping.

pebbles":3imxmf8t said:
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're after - it's not exactly the same - suggests it's 40amps, but it's only 85 euros...

http://www.bricodepot.fr/macon/search/n ... otCategory

Have you checked your local brico sheds (there are three Brico Depots around Paris), most of them have a massive range of electrical stuff for the diy-er.

Yes, exactly. After some frustrated searching I just sent him an email asking if he knew of something cheaper, and he sends me a link for one that's got even better ratings that the NF LeGrand 32A that I had found for 200 something euros. Was also on BricoDepot... The price? 50 euros. I cannot understand how people put up with constantly getting fleeced on pricing around here.

siggy_7":3flhp23m said:
An ELCB is an earth leakage current breaker - in addition to detecting over-current, it also measures when voltages are leaking to the conductive enclosures of devices. Old-hat technology, UK installations now use residual current devices (RCD's, or when combined with an over-current circuit breaker RCBOs) which measure leakage current (difference between live and neutral) directly and trip out typically on 30mA leakage. Some RCDs are still branded ELCBs, so it may in fact be the newer type of device that is being offered. If the A is reffering to trip curve type, then I would suggest you plump for at least a B curve (UK standard). On individual 16A fused spur circuits for induction motored machinery, go for a C curve to avoid spurious tripping.

Ah, good to know about the trip curve. And yes I think you're right, based on what I've seen on the specs for these, they are often labeled as 32A/30mA, which I am guessing is the top current rating and the leakage current break point. And just like that, I seem to know be more educated than the electrician that came by our house the other week for an estimate.

Back