Shoe pollish, wax or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I have nearly finished a clamp in workmate router table.

I have put a couple of coats of sanding sealer on, and I want to wax the top. I don't have any wax.

Can I use shoe polish? That's a wax isn't it?

Sorry if it's a silly question. But I'm just not sure.

ATB Gary.

But I would choose the colour carefully, unless you want dark tan lines on things your routing. :shock: Go for what they often call natural or neutral. 8)

These days you can't trust even on shoe polish. I've run into shoe polish containing silicone a few times. Adding that will very effectively ruin every attempts to re-finish the wood later.

Router table sounds just a place where I'd avoid anything that even might contain silicone, you'll get a trace of it on everything you route on that table. It might not be a problem at all, but then again, it might...

Pekka

P.S Worst case of silicone disease I ran into was when a guy got his fancy varnished mahogany boat to a boat show. During the whole show he was cleaning finger marks and dust from his boat with some sort of furniture cleanup spray containing silicone.

Next spring he tried to varnish it again, but nothing stuck on that surface. Varnish was just full of birdseyes (are they called birdseyes, those parts where the varnish doesn't stick?) and nothing helped. Sanding does not hlep on silicone at all. Even a xylene wipe did not help enough, there were still birdseyes. Had to scrape the varnish off and start all over again. 12 coats of varnish :)

Back