Shed roof felt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Been in my new house 6 months now. Next job is re-felting the old shed roof. All the diy places seem to stock green felt. I want either black or dark grey. It also needs to be flexible and not crack when bent over as the pitch is 45 degrees so I need to bend it 90 degrees over the ridge without cracking. Any recommendations?

PS don't want epdm, not sure what the long term plan for the shed is so just after simple felt. It's not a workshop.

Cheers

Mark

Have twice used Wickes felt - both single ply for shed and with an underlay for a small flat roof on the house and both application and performance have been good. They do it in black (and green!).

The felt should be fine for the 90 degree bend on the ridge (assuming it's applied when warm) but you could consider using a self-adhesive flashing strip, like this over the ridge, for a belt-n-braces approach.

Thanks Mike, I could only see green when I looked, not sure how I didn't see that. And Wickes is my closest DIY shed.

Now the only prob with it is the length, I'd need 2. If it was 10m x1m I'd only need one. Grrrrr

Mark

Mike.S":3pzn9yzl said:
Have twice used Wickes felt - both single ply for shed and with an underlay for a small flat roof on the house and both application and performance have been good. They do it in black (and green!).

The felt should be fine for the 90 degree bend on the ridge (assuming it's applied when warm) but you could consider using a self-adhesive flashing strip, like this over the ridge, for a belt-n-braces approach.

Can echo the flashing strip for along the ridge. I moved my shed a few years ago and it was easier to cut through the felt on the ridge and then repair with this once it was re-assembled than re-roof it all.

I've used guttering for a shed ridge, since seeing it on a Wendy house plans I was helping with.
It comes in 4 m lengths fixed with nails, or screws with washers and sealed around each one.
You can rub down the guttering and gloss paint it too.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":2cflstjx said:
Regards Rodders

Not a good idea. Gloss paint will rot the plastic. Better off using a proper plastic spray like Plastikote.

MMUK":127d5loy said:
blackrodd":127d5loy said:
Regards Rodders

Not a good idea. Gloss paint will rot the plastic. Better off using a proper plastic spray like Plastikote.

Not so! been doing it for some time and found no problems at all.
Just wash the guttering, rub down with a green kitchen scourer, fit and gloss away with you're colour
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":ap0tz5wg said:
MMUK":ap0tz5wg said:
blackrodd":ap0tz5wg said:
Regards Rodders

Not so! been doing it for some time and found no problems at all.
Just wash the guttering, rub down with a green kitchen scourer, fit and gloss away with you're colour
Regards Rodders

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've seen it happen MANY times. A lot of the rotten guttering I have replaced over the years has been due to being painted with gloss.

MUK,
Yes, We'll have to disagree then, I don't know What you have in the rainwater up there, as it's not the gloss paint rotting the guttering!
Googling it comes up with this how to paint you're guttering using undercoat and gloss,--
I, like most other people just use gloss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vqgB0HFf0
And Nowhere on Google or jeeves etc, is "rotting" guttering mentioned being caused by painting with gloss
Sometimes it's best to research these things and separate fact from fiction.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":1v0w4qfq said:
MUK,
Yes, We'll have to disagree then, I don't know What you have in the rainwater up there, as it's not the gloss paint rotting the guttering!
Googling it comes up with this how to paint you're guttering using undercoat and gloss,--
And Nowhere on Google or jeeves etc, is "rotting" guttering mentioned being caused by painting with gloss
Regards Rodders

It's not fiction bud. How will rainwater cause glossed guttering to rot FROM THE OUTSIDE?

MMUK":39vwxq5l said:
blackrodd":39vwxq5l said:
MUK,
Regards Rodders

It's not fiction bud. How will rainwater cause glossed guttering to rot FROM THE OUTSIDE?

Never heard of, or seen rotting plastic guttering, It Would be nice to see some evidence, I've been looking myself,
Googled rotting plastic gutter, also does paint rot plastic gutter, nothing comes up
It's not April the 1st is it?
Regards Rodders

Mark, just a wee suggestion, but if you put a couple (or even better 3 or 4) coats of quality bitumen paint on before the felt, it barely matters what quality felt you use.

4 coats of bitumen paint on the inside surface and you can use that horrible basic MDF as a drinking water cistern, it's that water proof.

To make it easier to work with, you can use a light amount of chalk or talc to dust each dry coat, to help see where your next coat is being applied.

I use this method on the inside of planters all the time, they outlast the average ones quite ridiculously.

Nic.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

nicguthrie":3u5bdvoe said:
Mark, just a wee suggestion, but if you put a couple (or even better 3 or 4) coats of quality bitumen paint on before the felt, it barely matters what quality felt you use.

4 coats of bitumen paint on the inside surface and you can use that horrible basic MDF as a drinking water cistern, it's that water proof.

To make it easier to work with, you can use a light amount of chalk or talc to dust each dry coat, to help see where your next coat is being applied.

I use this method on the inside of planters all the time, they outlast the average ones quite ridiculously.

Nic.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

+1

I did a shed roof seven years ago with a cold applied bitumen paint / adhesive stuff under the roofing felt with alloy tape on the joins, (all from wickes). Still watertight today with no signs of any of the normal wear and tear. I now think its a waste of time putting felt on a roof without it. Yes its a real pain and takes longer but it'll outlast a roof where you dont use it by 5-1

I only used one coat but it was a thick one, painting 300mm at a time then sticking the felt down. like the idea of the talc! Keeping the tin of bitumen in a bucket of hot water makes life a lot easier.

Last time I bought some, the various felts were labelled with their life expectancy, obviously get the longest. Also it’s the ridge that gets most damage over time so make sure you double up over the ridge.

Back