Shed Rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just starting the process of planning a rebuild of my shed. I have a number of problems which I am aiming to fix over the summer, namely ingress of water, cold (very cold) floor, totally useless door and low eaves.

What I intend to do, after removing all of the tools is remove the shiplap from the outside of the walls and the insulation and cladding from inside. Then

Lift the existing chipboard off the wooden base. Lay some 1"-2" battening on the floor and fill with polystyrene. Replace the chipboard.

Remove the roof (its sagging anyway) and fix ladder frames around the top of the walls. Chop off the top of the gable end level with the new frames. Add rafters across the shed (only 8' wide) to form a new flat roof.

Reframe the doorway and replace the door with a domestic front door.

Clad the outside of the shed with plywood. Is 12mm enough? Cover the ply with breathable membrane. Replace the shiplap. Do I need a gap between the membrane and the shiplap?

Reboard and refelt the roof.

Replace the insulation and interior cladding.

One thing I would love to have is a small wood burning stove. Is this possible / sensible in a wooden shed and if so are there any consideration I need to look into?

So thats the plan beginning to take some shape. I would welcome any comments.

Bob

How about a photo or two, Bob?

Whilst awaiting those, my only comment on a woodburner would be to make sure that it is on a fire-proof hearth, extending a good way in front of it, and that there is no polystyrene within about a mile.

It sounds as though this is an almost complete re-build........so lets know the construction (floor, wall and roof details)......and lets see if we can get it right this time so that you never have to re-build it again! Oh....and same old same old..........the ply goes on the inside of the frame, not the outside!

Mike

Thanks for your response Mike. I did not think there was much mileage in posting any pictures, it is simply a bought shed. Here is a link to my original build thread which may help. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9792&highlight=

Consturction is all timber. Wooden floor - floorboarding and 3 x 2 battens. Walls are 3 x 2 with shiplap cladding. Internal cladding is 12mm chipboard. Roof is ply and felt over more 3 x 2. Standard garden shed construction really.

The project is almost a rebuild but things have to change. I cannot have water getting in and the door has nearly a 2" gap at the bottom where it has twisted. The floor, this time of year, is very cold.

I have read many shed build threads and still get the ply and membrane wrong :oops: .

Looks like the wood burner is not a sensible idea. I don't have the space for a hearth. Nice idea but a non-starter me thinks.

Bob,

the top-notch job would be to move the existing shed, build a concrete base and low brick plinth, and then place the shed back on top of that. Put a floating floor on insulation on the concrete base. The plinth would solve your headroom problems, as well as increase the shed's life by decades.

It sounds as though the inside is already lined? In which case, remove all the f/e boards, insulate to the full depth of the frame, wrap in a breather membrane or building paper, batten out on all the studs, then reclad with new f/e boards.

For the roof, I would overclad with Onduline or similar, leaving large overhangs, and fit gutters. Make sure the roof is insulated as well.

Mike

Back