Shed build (WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
morfa":1hnymot3 said:
What a lovely shed. Looking forward to seeing the internals finished up.

Thanks - internals are nothing special, just painted up OSB. If this building gets used as an office in years to come then I'll put in a floating floor, insulate the brickwork and then plaster it out but as a 'shed' I'm happy with a lick of paint.

Wizard9999":x3e4a547 said:
Continue to really enjoy this WIP.

Was there a reason you did not go for feather edge?

Thanks for the support. I've never really done a WIP but I've always loved looking at everyone else's so I thought I'd be time to give a little back - warts and all!

I went for square edged for a few reasons. Mainly it was so I could just order a load of it and it could then be used for the stop-ends and door/window trims and any other little job whereas feather edge would just be for the cladding. I also felt that it would give a greater depth and make the building feel a little chunkier. I did want 200mm boards in an effort to make it look more like an Oak clad building and I wanted to steer away from shiplap/loglap type cladding as they remind me too much of standard sheds. I don't know if I've fully achieved the look I was going for but it's a good way there. I think by the time the rest of the landscaping is done it'll sit better.

There's always the added bonus that square edged last longer.....apparently - http://www.surrey-oak.com/cladding.html

tomf":1ifdb9f6 said:
The DIY £1 a roll loft insulation is horrible stuff to use. It's not the fiber glass in it which is bad it's the metal and other rubbish they left in it as it's from recycled glass.

I checked last night and it's proper Rockwool that I insulated it with not the cheapy stuff. When I bought it all it was when the government was doing this big energy saving push and they'd reduced it to £1/roll. You were limited to how many you could by, but I just bought the maximum thinking it'd come in handy. I only used 5 1/2 rolls on the shed so I've still got 30 or 40 in the loft......

After the cladding was completed I applied a white silicone sealer around the soffits and a clear one at every other edge around the cladding so that the wood can still move but the flexible silicone provides some protection from the elements & insects. I can't remember if I got this out of a US frame building book but it seems to be the American way when I've researched it on the web - maybe someone can comment to it's usefulness.

This shot you'll see a filler piece fixed under the ridge beam and a small filler of cladding. I'm not sure I'd mentioned it but the black gloss is a 10 year exterior paint. When I painted the fascias on the newly built garage I used standard black gloss and 18 months on it needs touching up. The door and the windows are also in a 10 year paint - which unless you spring to Farrow & Ball at £silly then you're colour choices are very limited.

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7454.jpg

The stable windows don't look too bad from the outside. I ripped up some of the split boards for the trim and then used a bit of 50x150 for the cill then silicon sealed again - the window was already weather tight but why not put an extra layer on? I made some small fillers at the top and bottom of the open slats so that the glass from the inside could rest up against it and chaulked a line around the internal frame and fixed it in with some beading. I was quite nervous with the brad gun fixing 30mm pins into a 10mm bead so close the glass as the pins sometimes have a mind of their own and if they hit a knot they'll shoot off course. Everytime I fired the gun I held my breath but it was all fine. From the outside I then had a choice to either stick some putty around the slats or stick some frame sealant in. My reasoning was if I stuck putty in the the slats would turn into slits with no more than a few inches of visibility so I put in sealant, which looks great.......from the outside! It's bled a little on the inside so does look a little tatty but fine for it's purpose.

IMG_7294.jpg

With the sash I needed to put in a couple of trim pieces to box in the weights as this window came with a really bad shutter over the front which was attached to the front box section. The new sash box is made up from the actual timber frame and then as you see with front trim pieces, which is why it looks a little squeezed in. The window does work fully and smoothly, top and bottom openers which is a real bonus. I think the lack of paint over the years has meant that the ropes aren't covered in paint which allows them to work properly.

IMG_7447.jpg

I mitred the trim at the top and then added a secondary trim over the top to match the depth of the cladding.

IMG_7446.jpg

This is the best I could think of with the cill - it's all sealed to within an inch of it's life and strong enough to sit on!

IMG_7445.jpg

The door frame was trimmed just to the bottom of the cladding. The paint needs thinking about as the colour is a little more NHS or dentist rather than what we want, plus my wife should have painted the letterbox and number plate black I think. We still need to find a suitable door handle and we'll be putting a light up once the electrics are in.

IMG_7448.jpg

For the door threshold I'm planning to chop out an inch of brick and then lay a concrete step which I'll do once we get on to laying the huge Yorkstone slabs I'm planning to wrestle to the ground!! You can see where my paint gun exploded - more later - and also the annoying little gap at the right side bottom. If I've not already mentioned it, the floor slab is 75mm from the proposed ground level (1 brick deep) so not quite the height of a house threshold but good enough to stop water getting in from the ground.

IMG_7449.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7455.jpg
    IMG_7455.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_7454.jpg
    IMG_7454.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_7294.jpg
    IMG_7294.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_7447.jpg
    IMG_7447.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_7446.jpg
    IMG_7446.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_7445.jpg
    IMG_7445.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_7448.jpg
    IMG_7448.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_7449.jpg
    IMG_7449.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 751
A few more of the windows.

IMG_7453.jpg

Notice on this shot the bricks. The top few courses are in the old solids I mentioned before and when close up you can see the difference. I do like the fact - or maybe this is just some form of justification - that it looks like a section of the wall had to be re-built a some time ago, like you see on really old buildings, which goes a little way to building in a little character and age to a brand new building.

IMG_7452.jpg

You can see a side-by-side comparison of the bricks - or more like, a one-on-yop-of-the-other comparison. I still need to clean up the sealant from the widow, it's not intended to by that messy!

IMG_7456.jpg

I wanted to add a little trim piece at the bottom of the stop-ends so that it looks a little more chunky - I'm not 100% convinced that they look right, I'll see if they grow on me. I did do this all the way around, even though no-one will ever see the back.

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7451.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpg
    IMG_7453.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_7452.jpg
    IMG_7452.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_7456.jpg
    IMG_7456.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_7450.jpg
    IMG_7450.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_7451.jpg
    IMG_7451.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 751
That's about it so far for the exterior. There's the downpipes to add once the landscaping is underway so once it's done I'll update the photos - don't hold you breath....winter is coming! I'll just post a few general pics of the building from a few different angles.

IMG_7437.jpg

IMG_7438.jpg

IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7433.jpg

IMG_7435.jpg

...and we're back to the starting shot.

IMG_7436.jpg

I'll post a few of the interior next time.

Attachments

• IMG_7437.jpg
    IMG_7437.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_7438.jpg
    IMG_7438.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_7439.jpg
    IMG_7439.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,510
  • IMG_7432.jpg
    IMG_7432.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,507
  • IMG_7433.jpg
    IMG_7433.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_7435.jpg
    IMG_7435.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_7436.jpg
    IMG_7436.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,510
MickCheese":9yq9ksyd said:
I love it and the write up was fantastic. Thanks so much.

Just read this through from start to finish, like a good book I could not stop before I reached the end.

Well done.

Mick

Thanks for that - I've still got a few interior photos to add later - nothing special but might as well stick 'em up.

I enjoyed that every bit as much as I thought I would. One question though, it doesn't look like you've insulated the brick at all, which seems like an omission given that the rest of the shed looks to be well insulated. Are you planning to add any?

Wizard9999":34pj37v7 said:
angelboy":34pj37v7 said:
Also another supposed no-no - I haven't battened out the studs for a ventilation gap. Mike swears that this MUST be done BUT I've read through all the technical drawings on the Permavent website and you don't have to have ventilation with this breather membrane on a warm/wall roof type construction. I'm just going by the technical spec!

I plan to follow your lead on this one as it will save a lot of work and make the end result look a lot better.

Any chance you could point me to the relevant drawings for use in walls on the Permavent website? I have found various bits of info on use in a number of different types of roof, but only passing mentions of using it as a "house wrap" in timber frame buildings.

Thanks in advance.

Give me a day or two. I've been preparing for grand designs live tomorrow as I've had a load of plans to do for some people I'm meeting.

angelboy":2nrp3zdo said:
Give me a day or two. I've been preparing for grand designs live tomorrow as I've had a load of plans to do for some people I'm meeting.

NP and I hope Grand Designs Live goes well.

Wizard9999":21crenn0 said:
Wizard9999":21crenn0 said:
Any chance you could point me to the relevant drawings for use in walls on the Permavent website? I have found various bits of info on use in a number of different types of roof, but only passing mentions of using it as a "house wrap" in timber frame buildings.

Thanks in advance.

The walls were taken in part from 'Build a shed Mikes way" - build-a-shed-mike-s-way-t39389.html

I used 11mm OSB as the internal vapour barrier as Mike explains that it's full of glue so stops the passage of moisture. Then the studs were filled with Rockwool loft insulation, which can also be used for walls, as long as you're aware that it may sag and therefore create cold spots.

I used Permavent Eco breathable membrane - http://www.permavent.co.uk/permavent-eco/

Right at the bottom it reads:

"Permavent ECO is suitable for all types of roof construction including: cold non vented, warm roofs, traditional vented roofs and hybrid roofs (room in the roof).

Permavent ECO is also suitable for the Scottish roofing practice and is suitable as house wrap in timber frame construction."

Here's the link to the CAD drawings, which can be downloaded as a PDF so that you can view them:

http://www.permavent.co.uk/cad-drawings/

I based my roof (and walls) on this drawing:

http://www.permavent.co.uk/images/stori ... _type3.pdf

If there is no requirement for ventilation on a warm roof constructed as per the drawing then what's the difference in the construction of the wall? The materials I've used in the wall and the roof differ only in the fact that the roof tiles are clay and the walls are clad in timber - otherwise they're constructed the same.

celston":1yeul4kl said:
I enjoyed that every bit as much as I thought I would. One question though, it doesn't look like you've insulated the brick at all, which seems like an omission given that the rest of the shed looks to be well insulated. Are you planning to add any?

If/when the shed changes its use to an office or a teenagers room then I'll treat it as you would a garage conversion. I'd put in 100mm of rigid insulation under a chipboard floor, 100mm on the brick and then I'd plasterboard it.

So yes, it has been omitted in it's current form, but it's just being used as a storage shed so I can demolish a garage.

angelboy":3luibk0j said:
I based my roof (and walls) on this drawing:

http://www.permavent.co.uk/images/stori ... _type3.pdf

If there is no requirement for ventilation on a warm roof constructed as per the drawing then what's the difference in the construction of the wall? The materials I've used in the wall and the roof differ only in the fact that the roof tiles are clay and the walls are clad in timber - otherwise they're constructed the same.

Thanks angelboy. Looking at that diagram there does appear to be a small gap (though I guess less than the 30mm advocated by Mike) provided by the battens the tiles sit on. I take it at this stage so far you have not encountered any issue with your approach?

Terry.

Wizard9999":rrbbvzg5 said:
Thanks angelboy. Looking at that diagram there does appear to be a small gap (though I guess less than the 30mm advocated by Mike) provided by the battens the tiles sit on. I take it at this stage so far you have not encountered any issue with your approach?

Terry.

It could look like another layer of something but I don't think it's a ventilation gap.

Have a read through here from the celotex website. There is a comment about the principles from a reader of the blog but the response points back to the quality of the breathable membrane.

It's late and I'm trying to watch guy Martin build a spitfire, so I might not have understood it correctly, so I'll read it and digest it tomorrow.

http://blog.celotex.co.uk/technical/pit ... plication/

A few interior shots - nothing special.

I tried to put in expandable foam on some of the joints but it didn't really work to well so I decided just togo straight ahead and fill the joints with a sealant. As I'd ordered loads of white silicone from Toolstation for the exterior I re-order a few more tubes - problem was I must have accidentally re-ordered the clear. Oh well, I had it in hand so although it was tricky to know if the joints were sealed well I over-filled to make sure of it.

IMG_7291.jpg

After trying to get my newly bought Wagner Paint crew sprayer to work (didn't prime, turned out I'd not left it on long enough - after a strip down and a call to Wagner - but then I burst the hose, cue water all over the kitchen!) I brush painted it. On the first joint I then realised that silicone can't be painted! silly person! Apparently even my wife knew that! So I did the best I could, ordered in a load of white chaulk, applied it over the silicone then repainted the joints - all of which added an extra few days.

IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7419.jpg

IMG_7414.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

Before that I'd ordered the wrong hose for the Wagner, 1/2" instead of 1/4", so I had a trip into town to buy a knew one from Machine Mart. When setting the unit back up I filled it with paint, primed it and then started to spray - apart from it didn't spray, instead choosing to blow another hole in the newly bought hose but now splattering paint all over the shed! Nightmare! I've spent more time cleaning and taking apart this bloody paint sprayer than I have actually painting with it - which is zero by the way!

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7421.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7291.jpg
    IMG_7291.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_7429.jpg
    IMG_7429.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_7422.jpg
    IMG_7422.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_7421.jpg
    IMG_7421.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_7419.jpg
    IMG_7419.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_7414.jpg
    IMG_7414.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_7409.jpg
    IMG_7409.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,313
I bought these from the warehouse after calculating that it would cost more to make the shelves out of wood, and plus I could re-loacte them pretty easily. They look flimsy but they're stronger than I expected so a good buy I think.

http://store.makro.co.uk/p-11249-biloxx ... 265kg.aspx

The ones I bought were marked up 300kg per shelf and were on special of 5 units including a workbench for £120.

Back