Shed: Build or Restore?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You and I both know the problem, condensation, which I suppose can be reduced, at a cost.

This past week has been a real shocker, 28c daytime, dawn much lower, hence condensation.

BTW, I dont suppose much machinery is stolen from domestic outbuildings, I alway say if they do, they must be desparate lifting up a couple of hundredweight.

Leaving the door open was just a comment to explain its natural problem not a serious cure.

I never considered a metal shed Mark.

I don't know how these sheds are put together, so, perhaps one answer might be to build a 50mm x 50mm, self-supporting frame inside. When I say self supporting, I mean something you wouldn't have to bolt, or stick, to the metal. You might have some ledges or seams, in the shed, that you could use to wedge the timbers in place.

The framing would have to touch the walls though, so you could put insulating sheet or rock-wool between the timbers. Then cover inside with some kind of sheeting. I'd see it as a big job. As for the gap between the lining and the metal (if indeed you would need one) I can't really advise. If this is a stopgap measure, until you get a better workshop, then I think it wouldn't matter too much. Obviously you'd need some kind of heating in the Winter.

HTH

John :)

Hi John

My current shed is metal, which is fine most of the year (apart from the rust and leaking roof) but in winter the condensation is terrible. A few times last year I had to dry my mitre saw with a hair dryer because it looked like it had a bucket of water thrown over it!

I was thinking about building a 2x2 frame inside the shed, a suitable distance from the metal skin, and pack insulation between the studs. Then a vapour barrier followed by chipboard on the inside. Just standard shed construction really, apart from the outside which is damp, leaking rusty metal!

I was considering an air gap so the insulation doesn't directly touch the metal, as I thought that I could then get away with cheap stuff like fibre glass loft insulation instead of using kingspan etc. Also I don't have a permanent electricity source in the shed, just an cable I plug into the kitchen so heating isn't an option unfortunately.

I know that it'll take quite a bit of work but not as much as a completely new shed, and with the Welsh weather against me constantly I don't know how long it'll take so I'll temporarily fix up what I've got and make do til the house sells.

Latest posts

Back