Sharps fitter job / 110v tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I've only fairly recently joined and this is my first post so apologies if this question has been asked before or if I've posted in the wrong section.

I'm thinking about applying to be a fitter for Sharps bedrooms and wandered if anyone here either fits for them or has fitted for them in the past and what their thoughts / experiences were.

Also, I know I could just call them and ask this but are their fitters required to have 110v tools?

Any thoughts or info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Most trade users are / have swapped to mostly battery kit now.....
Definitely worth calling them, ask as many questions as you can think of...
I just googled it for the sake of it, assuming these reviews are accurate, the fitters aren't all happy.
Of course, some reviews may have been left by previous fitters / disgruntled employees, so its impossible to know for sure....
https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Sharps-Bedrooms-Ltd/reviews?fjobtitle=Fitter

Nothing wrong with 110v but the company and more so the customer may take exception at you using there power supply to run your tools where as charging a battery or two won’t use a lot . My Milwaukee 5ah batteries run all day .

John Lewis delivered a bed. fitters were not provided with electric tools at all!
They wanted 'em, they had to provide them!
Yes, worth checking, (though battery would be so much easier)

I would say that a domestic bedroom would not be classed as a "site" and therefore no need for 110 volt tools but I do believe 110 volt tools do seem more durable than there 230 volt equivalents. I am still old school and like a tool that will once purchased is completely mine without being tied to batteries or brand. If you go cordless you are effectively tied to that brand, I would rather buy a tool based on ability and functionality than because it is what I have batteries for. It has been a great marketing exercise for the brands though, instantly captured and having to buy new batteries compared to when after many years they may come back to buy the latest version of the tool if there was not something better from a different brand.

I would say that a domestic bedroom would not be classed as a "site" and therefore no need for 110 volt tools but I do believe 110 volt tools do seem more durable than there 230 volt equivalents. I am still old school and like a tool that will once purchased is completely mine without being tied to batteries or brand. If you go cordless you are effectively tied to that brand, I would rather buy a tool based on ability and functionality than because it is what I have batteries for. It has been a great marketing exercise for the brands though, instantly captured and having to buy new batteries compared to when after many years they may come back to buy the latest version of the tool if there was not something better from a different brand.
Very true. I and a few guys i work with have 2 battery families... ive got makita and dewalt, which is handy because if you arent impressed with a particular tool, you can try the competitions offering..... for instance im not happy with my makita jigsaw, so I'll get the dewalt next. I have 5 dewalt 5ah batts and 11 or 12 makita 5ah

I used to fit for sharps about 30 years ago and used battery drills and 240v jigsaw and chop saw.
A real pain karting all the gear in and out of properties especially London fits when most are flats and apartments.
I had seven years with them and earned a good living though. The constant travelling got me in the end.

Back