Sharpening.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingAl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently purchased an Axminster Perform 900 plus a huge amount of extras, unfortunately, there's not much left in the coffers!. Now, having been after something like this for a very long time I was keen to get stuck in. I got stuck in. In fact I got stuck in with such eagerness I created so much sawdust the kids hamsters have got bedding sorted for a fair few months. Anyway, I digress.
The 6 chisels that came with the set up ( they are HSS, Robert something I think, can't remember but will venture back out to the garage shortly to check) have had such a beating from my ham fisted amateur attempts that you would be hard pushed to pierce a yoghurt lid with them.
Anyway, I have a local club round the corner which I have been meaning to visit but the wife and kids keep dashing my attempts, I should, hopefully be going there on Monday. Whilst there, I will aim to learn the dark art of sharpening my tools properly. Now, forgive the preamble but this leads me onto my main question....
Which Bench Grinder?. Are there differences between a B&Q or say Axminster versions?. Is there a specific wheel required or can I just use the ones that come fitted?. Should I buy a jig type affair? ( seen a few on eBay for £20, is that worth it? ).
If you can help me out I'd appreciate it, I'm a huge novice at the minute and am expecting to be for some time yet but as they say, " every little helps "!!!!!.

Cheers all,

Al.

the RP 6" https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/produ ... ch-grinder

or possibly

the dakota https://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-p ... ch-grinder

are about the most affordable, either of which have a suitable grade of wheel on (the white one) for sharpening your gouges. the std grey wheel on nearly all 'affordable' bench grinders is too course for sharpening.

A home-made tilt-able support (as in Keith Rowleys book) will do you for the meantime and be good for sharpening scrapers, skews, roughing gouges and parting tools.

I have the RP and it does me ok.
started with a home made 'table' which helped.
then bought a wolverine jig, which improved things further.
then a blue wheel, which has improved things even more.
or maybe its just the passing of time and experience?

I have the cheap Axminster grinder http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awbgdl-wide-stone-grinder-prod789070/ which I use with the Keith Rowley jig. I had to send the first one back, as it was obviously out of balance - but, being Axminster, it was immediately replaced without any fuss. The replacement is rather noisy, but works a treat apart from being a little underpowered (which is no bad thing, as it reduces my tendency to press too hard and burn the tool-edge).

+1 for a 6 inh bench grinder (I have the RP one) plus a sharpening jig for ease of repeatability. Good luck.

Hi chaps, thanks for the guidance. Am now about to look at the Axminster site so that I can put in my request to Santa!.
Cheers all,
Al.

Back