Sharpening mitre trimmer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Dakota mitre trimmer which I use for fine tuning mitres on boxes and box trays. Way overdue, I decided I would take the blades off and re-sharpen which I have managed to some extent but wondered if there was an established way to do so!
I used lapping film on float glass but the size of the blade means it is awkward to ensure the secondary bevel is flat when sharpening - the primary bevel is fine because it is so large.
In the end I simply "tuned up" the secondary bevel with a diamond card sharpener (normally reserved for router cutters) and whilst it is better, I'm sure thee has to be a better way.
Any thoughts please?

I have a (very old) Briton trimmer, and sharpen the blade Japanese style - since the blades are short thick the primary bevel is HUGE, and I just sit the blade on the primary bevel, and sharpen the primary. It's self jigging.

BugBear

Thanks BugBear.
The only problem with your solution is that my secondary bevel is quite large (3mm) and so to sharpen on the primary bevel alone might mean removing quite a bit of metal? I'll give it a try and see how it goes as I have most sharpening systems.

Could well be, but mine have a clear secondary bevel and it wasn't me who put them on!
Lion trimmers are based in Birmingham (next door to me) but I don't know if they sharpen other suppliers blades (they charge ~ £20 for their own). As I have most sharpening paraphernalia I would hope to be able to do it myself and hence the post.

Back