sharpening costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,
I'm about to get 6 HSS planer blades resharpened by a professional grinding service. The place I use is in Colchester Essex. Last time I paid £10 per blade (ie for four blades 10 inches long - the cost was = £40 incl vat but excluding collection & delivery). Got me to wondering what others are charging round here. It seems pricey but they did a terrific job. Previously I had tried 2 other grinding shops & the finished blades weren't nearly as sharp or straight. So, what are others paying for planer blade sharpening ? & who do others use for good sharpening in North Essex / suffolk border ? Any comment appreciated. REgards, Catface

Nowhere near you, but I last paid £3-something for each 12" blade.

That sounds pricey. Send a PM to iajon69 of Dragon Saws. He just did mine via mail order and the cost was very reasonable and the service excellent.

Sounds like you were ripped off. I pay about £9 + Vat for a set of 3 12inch planer blades which is about the same as what jake payed.

Jon

To correct myself,mine are 10", but the £3-something would have been with the VAT.

Catface,

try Haydens Saws and Cutters in Braintree (01376 325380).........tell Steve I recommended him to you, and I'm sure you will get a much better price than that. I can't remember what I paid last time, but it was an awful lot less than your figures.

Mike

thanks guys,
the place in Braintree is near me so i'll give it a try. Cheers, Catface

Quick update.
I tried the Haydens saw and cutters at Braintree. Very good service. Less than a week turn around ; cutters properly sharpened & delivered on due date & on time ; and the cost was about half of what I was paying before.
So if you're near Braintree I'd recommend these guys for your sharpening, and thanks to Mr Garnham for the recommendation.

regards, Catface

I pay around £6 per pair 10" blades + £5 postage, so I also send a number of other items at a time.

Back